• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you send this in for a possible * designation?

8 posts in this topic

Here is a proof 1942 washington that is toned beautifully. I am considering sending it in for designation review. I feel it deserves it and would enhance its value. Of course I am partial. Anyone want to play grader and offer an opinion. Any opinions from NGC grades is welcome too. wink.gif

1942proof

I'll play grader. It's a PF67. Oh, that's not what you means.

Well, the picture probably hides a lot of the color, so it is hard to tell. It might be a little dark for the * designation, but for $10 you might as well try.

Hi Mike,

I like the coin very much, if it were mine I would send it in. But I do agree with Greg that the tone might be a little too dark to receve the *.

I sent in a 1963 D Franklin that I bought raw. It has beautiful red, gold, green, & blue tone that fully covers both the obverse and reverse. It also has excellent luster. The toning is light at the centers and becomes darker toward the rims...where the blue and green is. I thought this coin would definitely receve the *.

It came back about a month ago, graded MS65 no *. I belive it did not get the * due to the dark blue and green tone around the rims.

John

Very pretty coin Mike. It's worth a shot, IMO. I don't think that light and dark have much to do with the issue of the star designation, as I have a Jefferson nickel designated as such with lavender and purple toning. What can you lose, a few bucks?

Hoot

That isn't the best picture I have ever taken but my Nikon succumbed to gravity. The dark toning is really that electric blue coloring you sometimes see on coins. But I will admit I did have to acquire a taste for this quarter. I guess if I felt sure I wouldn't be asking and thanks for the input.

Hi Hoot,

At the same time that I sent in the '63 D Franklin, I also sent in a few proof Jefferson’s; a 1961 light blue/purple, a 1960 light pink and gold, a 1959 light blue and gold, as well as a couple of white coins. I really expected to receive *'s on the toned proofs.

The one coin to come back with a * was a blast white 1956 proof Jeff.

I have seen a number of coins without a * designation that I felt were deserving, but I have also never seen a coin with the * that I felt did not deserve it for overall eye appeal.

John