• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting penny

6 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

If you are referring to the weakness of the letters in "STATES OF," that is due to the fact that it is opposite the lower part of Lincoln's bust, which is the part of the obverse design that requires the most metal to fill, so, when the coin was struck, most of the metal went to the shoulder, instead of the reverse lettering. It was a common problem with Lincoln cents until the early 90s, if I remember correctly. (I may be off a bit on the date, but I do recall seeing a lot of uncirculated cents in the mid to late 80s that still had that issue.)

Unless what looks like a scratch running from the eye to the bowtie is actually raised, and is a die crack, rather than a gouge,  that is all I see.

24 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum.

If you are referring to the weakness of the letters in "STATES OF," that is due to the fact that it is opposite the lower part of Lincoln's bust, which is the part of the obverse design that requires the most metal to fill, so, when the coin was struck, most of the metal went to the shoulder, instead of the reverse lettering. It was a common problem with Lincoln cents until the early 90s, if I remember correctly. (I may be off a bit on the date, but I do recall seeing a lot of uncirculated cents in the mid to late 80s that still had that issue.)

Unless what looks like a scratch running from the eye to the bowtie is actually raised, and is a die crack, rather than a gouge,  that is all I see.

youre an absolute freak of nature. 

The missing "E" could possibly be the result of a grease-filled die, but the more likely explanation is the one that I gave above.

To quote Davin Lange, research director at NGC: " That part of the reverse is opposite the high relief of Lincoln's shoulder and did not strike up well. It's pretty common on 1959-83 cents, but the Mint solved this problem by hollowing out Lincoln's shoulder starting with 1984."

With a follow-up by Conder101: "And the Mint didn't solve the problem very well as weakness in STATES OF remained common to the end of the Memorial series."