• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is my "Cleaned" Trade Dollar worth anything?

12 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been recently sending in my Great-Grandmother's coin collection to NGC for grading, and unfortunately some of the most beautiful coins were cleaned by well wishing people throughout time, making it impossible for them to be given numerical grades by NGC. One of the best ones is an 1877 Trade Dollar. In my opinion the details and toning on it are beautiful, but because it has no grade it is impossible to price. Does anyone have experience selling coins that have been graded as "cleaned" and how those are usually priced? I will include the NGC image of the coin. Thanks

Jzp0tXS.jpg

My experience with cleaned coins is they usually price a grade below their details grade. Maybe two grades lower if it's a really nasty cleaning. With trade dollars, just having them certified genuine matters a good deal. That looks like it might have gotten AU details, maybe high EF, so maybe expect a value in high VF to regular EF.

:banana:    Hey Steven, I sympathize with you.  I had two (1874 / 1875) CC Trade Dollars both ICG MS 61 & AU 55.  Sent them in to NGC for grading and both came back Details - cleaned.  So, darned if I didn't get a second opinion, PCGS.  Ah, they came back Details - cleaned.  I see a lot of Trade Dollars on EBay and the majority are Details - Cleaned.  No an AU - Details will still be worth something.   Check the prices on EBay and maybe you will find something suitable.  Sorry guy but people in the past sure didn't use their heads.  Good luck with the rest of your collection. 

9 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

:banana:    Hey Steven, I sympathize with you.  I had two (1874 / 1875) CC Trade Dollars both ICG MS 61 & AU 55.  Sent them in to NGC for grading and both came back Details - cleaned.  So, darned if I didn't get a second opinion, PCGS.  Ah, they came back Details - cleaned.  I see a lot of Trade Dollars on EBay and the majority are Details - Cleaned.  No an AU - Details will still be worth something.   Check the prices on EBay and maybe you will find something suitable.  Sorry guy but people in the past sure didn't use their heads.  Good luck with the rest of your collection. 

Thanks. Unfortunately the "Look at this nice coin, let me clean it to make it look the best" response is too strong in people. This is the other trade dollar, this one got UNC Details, meaning if it wasn't cleaned it probably could have been MS.

se4oC78.jpg

Cleaned or not, either of those coins would look good in a type set, IMO. Yes, they have hairlines, and the resale value has been diminished by the cleaning, but they are nice looking, affordable, collectable examples of a coin that many can not afford to buy in higher mint state grades.

22 hours ago, Steven Precourt said:

Hello, I have been recently sending in my Great-Grandmother's coin collection to NGC for grading, and unfortunately some of the most beautiful coins were cleaned by well wishing people throughout time, making it impossible for them to be given numerical grades by NGC. One of the best ones is an 1877 Trade Dollar. In my opinion the details and toning on it are beautiful, but because it has no grade it is impossible to price. Does anyone have experience selling coins that have been graded as "cleaned" and how those are usually priced? I will include the NGC image of the coin. Thanks

Unfortunately in that year there were a boat load of the P & S's made (3mil/9mil not counting the cc's) and there are a ton out there, most in cleaned holders, so you are not alone. You can probably get 2-300 quickly on ebay.

Good luck and too bad .. it was/is a looker. j 

Hi, im new at collecting coins and recently got this one, searching coinstudy, here, and coin book, i learned about its value but im not sure first of all, of its authenticity, i guess because of the details in the gravins and the S it may be?, and if so, how much could it be worth?, Could you guys tell me your opinion about it?

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

004.jpg.5d96f72c5ce020026ef8159a91e4d086.jpg003.jpg.1c60f331125a461e8dd88ebacb0856b3.jpg

Unless I am seeing that coin wrong, it has attributes of both Obverse1 and Obverse2, something that could not have happened at the mint. Even if I am seeing things, I still don't like the look if that one. I don't think it is genuine.

Yeah....that last one is a definite fake.  There are A LOT of fake Trade Dollars out there.  It can be a dangerous series to buy raw if you don't have a ton of knowledge about the coins.