• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Merc Collection 4 Sale

8 posts in this topic

I have a nice collection of Mercury Dimes that I'm going to sell, 50 coins total. I am in the process of having them conserved & graded. They are all in mint condition and most have Full Bands.  I'm thinking that I need to have them all entered in a personal registry on NGC's website, so prospective buyers can view them. Do I also need the coins to be photographed by NGC during the certification process? Can I associate the coins with their pictures in my personal registry? Is it an accepted process to sell a collection on NGC's website or do I have to sell them at an auction? Can anyone tell me the best approach to selling a fifty coin collection?

Hello and Welcome!

Well, first off, do you want to sell the whole collection in one large lot or are you willing to sell the coins individually?  I'd recommend offering each coin individually.  It is very hard to find a buy for a whole 50 coin collection, so your coins would likely move faster and bring better prices if you sell them individually.  NGC can photograph to coins for you, but it will cost you extra.  I'd recommend photographing them yourself if you can, but if not, the NGC photos are an option.  I've never had NGC photograph anything for me, so I also cannot speak to the nature of the photos NGC takes....maybe someone else here can provide us with some insight there.  As for your Registry question, yes, you can absolutely associate photos with their corresponding coins on your Registry.  If you choose the Edit Coin option for your individual coins in the Collection Manager or actually in your Registry Set, you'll have an option to input photos of the coin.  You'll have to do this for each individual coin, but it's not difficult and doesn't take very long.  As for your last question, it is absolutely fine to sell your coins on the NGC boards!  Just go to the Coin Marketplace here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/forum/13-coin-marketplace/

and post a new thread listing the coins you have for sale and links to where your buyers can see the coins.  I sell coins on eBay, and I always post links to my eBay sales in the Coin Marketplace.  I find that it helps me sell more coins and faster than just putting them on eBay alone.

I hope that this was of some help to you.  Good luck with your grading and your sales!

Cheers!

~Tom

Tom is right on selling your coins separately.  It takes a while to sell them separately but you will get around double what a full set buyer will offer up. NGC pics are costly and should be for only the finest coins you get graded if you wish. An i-phone pic is usually well enough for a buyer to purchase the coin or they can look up the registration # and see the NGC pics. :)

Keep us posted when you get your grades!! 

Rick

Personal registries are fun ---- even if you are selling!!  The Collection Manager is the best to keep track of expenses. I add costs of all the coins I purchase graded or raw, costs of submissions, and costs of shipping when I sell. The Collection Manager has kept perfect expense costs overall during the last 10 years of my buying/selling venture.

Here is another way that NGC makes it easy:   Coins that I have for sale=

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/PublicUserHome.aspx?PeopleID=64396

Every NGC graded coin I have ---- is For Sale!!!  :)

Rick

One thing to clarify, NGC takes pics of all the coins they certify and they can be viewed publicly (for free) via the cert number on the case and the grade.  If you pay them, they will send you the picture files separately but I don't think there is really a need as the pics are there anyway and your coins will not be of high value.  Unless of course your set includes a high end 1916-D or 1942/1.