• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noticed Something Interesting

7 posts in this topic

A few weeks ago, I put all my slabbed coins in either custom or competitive sets so I could generate a printable inventory of my slabs (aound 170 or so right now).  A friend on the ANA boards told me I should add pictures to my coins even though he knew the coins were only their for my personal inventory. He was not really serious but I kinda took his thoughts to heart. SOO, I started scraping the pictures already posted on the NGC Coin Verification site and was able to pull pictures for about 80 of those coins.  Now 20 were from my own previous submissions but the other 60 were by unknown submitters.  I thought that was pretty good picture haul considering my collection is nothing special.   Given that level of success I decided to try the same with my PCGS coins, I checked every cert and found ZERO pictures.  I thought that was interesting too.

Going forward, I will post pictures whenever I purchase a new coin and I will take my own sorry pictures if none is available online.  I only plan on keeping a few of the sets 100% pictured,  the rest of the coins will stay anonymous.

Mokie

68slinobv.png

68slinrev.png

Personally, I'd rather have my own photos for my coins - photos that emphasize the coin and not the whole slab. I like having my own and not relying on what they may / may not have online already because it feels more "mine" and it feels more like a presentation that I built that way. But that's me. I try to keep all of my sets with pictures as much as possible but it doesn't work out, and having the best pics I can get for all the coins in the set is of greatest importance to me for the sets I care the most about.

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

Personally, I'd rather have my own photos for my coins - photos that emphasize the coin and not the whole slab. I like having my own and not relying on what they may / may not have online already because it feels more "mine" and it feels more like a presentation that I built that way. But that's me. I try to keep all of my sets with pictures as much as possible but it doesn't work out, and having the best pics I can get for all the coins in the set is of greatest importance to me for the sets I care the most about.

I'm lazy, and besides if I own the coin, I own the picture IMHO.  (:

19 minutes ago, thisistheshow said:

NGC has a photo in the cert lookup for every coin. 

That's only going to be true for coins graded after a certain point. I forget when they implemented that policy.

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

That's only going to be true for coins graded after a certain point. I forget when they implemented that policy.

Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't looked up enough to discover that. Good to know!

That's cool...the inventory thing helps. I use a program the stock traders used in 2004/05? The girls say it works fine so we keep it. I'm sure there's better out there but it fits our needs...it sounds high tech high dollar but it's not too advanced...most people say just use Excel spreadsheet.....peace