• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1896-o Morgan. Any worth here? Thanks.

37 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

Back to the OP post of value, of course it has value, to you sentimentally , its metal content of silver, and somewhat numismatic value. This coin pictured probably will not grade from the gouge on the front and the scratch on reverse.

That being said what "mohawk" still stands true for any grading of Morgan's and grading standards in general. Strike, Luster , Wear, and I would add LOOK to the equation, as I will buy a Morgan just on look and other standards be dammed.

This coin has none of the above in my mind. Thanks for sharing the family heirlooms. 

I'd agree with you on look as well.  Eye appeal does certainly play into the equation.  Thanks for adding that jgrinz!

18 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

You’re making this out to be far more intricate and complicated than it is. The coin looks to be AU details, damaged. Yes, someone else might opine that it’s not damaged and/or that it’s not AU details. But if they do, it should not have anything to do with the date or mintmark of the coin.

Exactly!  Thank you Mark!  Travis, believe it or not, I was actually trying to be helpful in illustrating how grading standards actually work as understanding this is key to learning how to grade accurately.....which, no offense meant but I don't know how else to say it, you really need to work on based on many of the coins you've posted here.  If you don't learn this and you do not stick to purchasing only low value coins or coins that are already graded by NGC or PCGS, you stand to lose A LOT of money.  This is the exact kind of thing that ruins this hobby for many people.  You seem to have a great interest in coins and enthusiasm for them, which is great!  That's why I was trying to help you with this and I'm sure that played into the others trying to help you as well.  But I'm done.  This is like trying to talk to a brick wall.  It's your hobby and your money Travis.  Do what you want.  I'm done trying to help or share information gained from 20 years experience in collecting, 11 years in selling coins on my own and experience working in an actual brick and mortar coin shop with you.  No matter what we say, your polished 1881-O Morgan is a super rare, previously unknown branch mint proof and you understand exactly how grading works, regardless of many experienced opinions and other evidence that refutes these stances.  I'm just done.  Life is too short.

17 minutes ago, Travis Hale said:

i have many of them. & there could be better ones always, lol. ;)

Travis - I posted my set on my signature line - Feel free to take a  look and compare various grades. It is kind of interesting especially the "O" Mints 

9 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Exactly!  Thank you Mark!  Travis, believe it or not, I was actually trying to be helpful in illustrating how grading standards actually work as understanding this is key to learning how to grade accurately.....which, no offense meant but I don't know how else to say it, you really need to work on based on many of the coins you've posted here.  If you don't learn this and you do not stick to purchasing only low value coins or coins that are already graded by NGC or PCGS, you stand to lose A LOT of money.  This is the exact kind of thing that ruins this hobby for many people.  You seem to have a great interest in coins and enthusiasm for them, which is great!  That's why I was trying to help you with this and I'm sure that played into the others trying to help you as well.  But I'm done.  This is like trying to talk to a brick wall.  It's your hobby and your money Travis.  Do what you want.  I'm done trying to help or share information gained from 20 years experience in collecting, 11 years in selling coins on my own and experience working in an actual brick and mortar coin shop with you.  No matter what we say, your polished 1881-O Morgan is a super rare, previously unknown branch mint proof and you understand exactly how grading works, regardless of many experienced opinions and other evidence that refutes these stances.  I'm just done.  Life is too short.

The colored Morgan looks artificially toned .. but that's just me I guess. :-) Have a nice day gents … off to the next

Just now, jgrinz said:

The colored Morgan looks artificially toned .. but that's just me I guess. :-) Have a nice day gents … off to the next

You as well, jgrinz!

10 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

It could be, or it might just be the result of re-toning after a cleaning.

2 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

It could be, or it might just be the result of re-toning after a cleaning.

Good Point ...