• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canada 1867-1967 one cent

9 posts in this topic

I agree Hinkle and Bob, wholeheartedly!  That IS a great circulation find.  I love when any Canadian coins turn up in my change, but as I really love birds, that coin has a special place.  Thanks for sharing that!

I thought you guy's would like that one. Just never know what's going to come out of circulation. 

The Confederation centennial issues are all interesting because of the special reverses. If memory serves, that's also the year that they removed silver from the dimes and above, with some issues basically problematic to determine metal content short of chemical testing.

2 minutes ago, JKK said:

The Confederation centennial issues are all interesting because of the special reverses. If memory serves, that's also the year that they removed silver from the dimes and above, with some issues basically problematic to determine metal content short of chemical testing.

JKK.....you're right about 1967 being the last year for silver halves and dollars.  In late 1967, the dimes and quarters were reduced from 80% silver to 50% silver and some, but not all, 1968 dimes and quarters are 50% silver.  So 1968 was the last year for silver dimes and quarters while 1967 is the cutoff for halves and dollars.  Yay!! I got to share some Canada knowledge :) 

12 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I agree Hinkle and Bob, wholeheartedly!  That IS a great circulation find.  I love when any Canadian coins turn up in my change, but as I really love birds, that coin has a special place.  Thanks for sharing that!

Hey Tom, I have 5 or 6, maybe more, if you want them. All are in great shape. I think I put 1 into 5 bags for the GACH next month, but am sure I have several left. No charge of course.

On 3/2/2019 at 6:07 AM, KarenHolcomb said:

Hey Tom, I have 5 or 6, maybe more, if you want them. All are in great shape. I think I put 1 into 5 bags for the GACH next month, but am sure I have several left. No charge of course.

Hi Karen,

That's an extremely kind offer.  I do have a bunch of them in my Small Cent hoard.  I saw how excited Hinkle was to find one, and I know how excited I was at finding one at 8 or 9 years old, so I'm going to ask you to do with those what I know that I will not do myself: Save the nicest one for yourself and put the rest out there for the GACH.  I like the thought of starting a kid off right.  I bought some Girl Scout cookies today, and I actually saw one girl checking the coins they got as people were buying cookies, so that also played into my decision.  I know that if I had had one of those with me at the time, I'd have used it toward my purchase somehow so she could have found it.

Thanks for thinking of me though.  You're awesome!

~Tom