• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pure Silver Coins?

2 posts in this topic

The Mint has recently released the Apollo 11 Dollar and it's .999 Fine silver vice the old .9 standard.  According to sources I have read, all silver coins, including the silver halves, quarters, and dimes will now contain pure silver.  I can see where this would cut down on the cost of processing the planchets but, of course, it will increase the amount of silver, and the related cost, for each coin going forward.   Given the tradition of producing circulating-style coins in .9 silver, do you think this is a good move or a bad move. 

I think they are pandering to the foreign markets to a certain degree with this decision.

This was happening quite a bit in 2005-2006 on the gold planchet issue..lots of deals with Australia's mint and certain suppliers. It seems easier to produce and better for dies. Stream lines the process more...simple, might have to be up a little faster on the calculations with dealers buying and selling but for the most part it should be a good thing. We have a standing buy on wrong planchet errors....