• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1969 error or not

9 posts in this topic

Looks to me like a couple splotches of PVC slime. If the coin were of enough value (financial, sentimental, you decide) to spend some time on, you might acetone it; that slime is eating the copper and will continue to do so until removed. I'd guess it was in protracted contact with a piece of deteriorating PVC.

I'm going to say some sort of slime also, maybe PVC maybe something else.  I see nothing that would indicate any kind of mint error.

Dude I had 3 rolls of '69s with this all over the Obverse. Idk what it is but it will lighten a little bit when soaked in Olive Oil. But I would up just throwing them into circulation. I hated that. Other than Lincoln's face they were beautiful coins.

19 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Dude I had 3 rolls of '69s with this all over the Obverse. Idk what it is but it will lighten a little bit when soaked in Olive Oil. But I would up just throwing them into circulation. I hated that. Other than Lincoln's face they were beautiful coins.

Acetone will dissolve it for true. Put some in a glass jar (you know not to use styrofoam, I trust...) and pour in the acetone. Screw on lid and swirl around gently. When the acetone turns blue, pour it out. Repeat until you can't turn the acetone blue. Slime-b-gon. You probably want hand lotion handy because acetone will make your hands like Death Valley.

12 hours ago, JKK said:

Acetone will dissolve it for true. Put some in a glass jar (you know not to use styrofoam, I trust...) and pour in the acetone. Screw on lid and swirl around gently. When the acetone turns blue, pour it out. Repeat until you can't turn the acetone blue. Slime-b-gon. You probably want hand lotion handy because acetone will make your hands like Death Valley.

JKK....you're not kidding about that!  I hate using acetone for that reason, though it is sometimes a necessity in this hobby.  To the OP......take JKK"s advice on the hand lotion!