• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016P Nickel Break-Man and His Dog

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, y'all know how I like unusual breaks, like my 'Casper's Friend', 'The Smoker', and 'Jumper' Nickels. Well check out my newest find, 'Man and His Dog'. You gotta use your imagination. I know some of you made pictures out of the clouds as kids. I wonder why it's always Nickels?

Also, any input on the line that runs on the left side of the doorway where they stand from mid door to floor would be great. Is it part of the break or a new Doubled?

Thankee Sai's!

Looks like I'll have to put 3 shots into the comments if it'll let me. They really oughta fix that.0223192003-1.thumb.jpg.c18e8cd991d481999278345704b5fa32.jpg

0223191956c-1.jpg

2019-02-23_20.14.04.jpg

Hey Karen,

Glad to see you posting again!! Well, I see the man, but not the dog.  However, as dogs are one of the very few animals that I really dislike, that's no problem for me :) You do seem to find the interesting die breaks, I must say.  Thanks for sharing!!

Cheers!

~Tom

2 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hey Karen,

Glad to see you posting again!! Well, I see the man, but not the dog.  However, as dogs are one of the very few animals that I really dislike, that's no problem for me :) You do seem to find the interesting die breaks, I must say.  Thanks for sharing!!

Cheers!

~Tom

Hey Tom. Yes, I do like the breaks. Probably because I never find anything else. Lol! Another guy said the same about no dog. I love the fellers so it jumped out at me. See, you gotta think that the mans lower body is hidden in the shadows and what you see as his legs is actually the dog sitting pretty in front of him and facing the right. Clear as day to me but so far it's 2 to 1 against me so maybe y'all are right. Either way, it's definitely a nice break. Thanks for responding to me. I been trying to come here more often but I finally got full cent rolls built up and seem to only have time to go through them. Am rarely even on FB anymore. Seems all the rolls filled up at once and will take me a year to search.

20 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Hey Tom. Yes, I do like the breaks. Probably because I never find anything else. Lol! Another guy said the same about no dog. I love the fellers so it jumped out at me. See, you gotta think that the mans lower body is hidden in the shadows and what you see as his legs is actually the dog sitting pretty in front of him and facing the right. Clear as day to me but so far it's 2 to 1 against me so maybe y'all are right. Either way, it's definitely a nice break. Thanks for responding to me. I been trying to come here more often but I finally got full cent rolls built up and seem to only have time to go through them. Am rarely even on FB anymore. Seems all the rolls filled up at once and will take me a year to search.

Hey Karen,

I tried....I still don't see the dog......just looks like a guy hanging out at the Monticello.  Ah well, that's ok....it's like looking at clouds.  I may see a dinosaur where you see a rabbit!  I also know how easy it is to build up accumulations of coins......I don't even know how many Canadian Small Cents are hanging out in our apartment!  Do you remember the Snapple Elements drinks from the late 1990's and early 2000's?  They had those killer glass bottles.....I have one of those filled halfway up with Canadian Small Cents in addition to a coffee can that's 3/4 way full of the things.  They're all dates I already have, but I can't bring myself to throw them back out there.  Thankfully my fiancee is patient with me there.  She collects coins, too :)

15 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hey Karen,

I tried....I still don't see the dog......just looks like a guy hanging out at the Monticello.  Ah well, that's ok....it's like looking at clouds.  I may see a dinosaur where you see a rabbit!  I also know how easy it is to build up accumulations of coins......I don't even know how many Canadian Small Cents are hanging out in our apartment!  Do you remember the Snapple Elements drinks from the late 1990's and early 2000's?  They had those killer glass bottles.....I have one of those filled halfway up with Canadian Small Cents in addition to a coffee can that's 3/4 way full of the things.  They're all dates I already have, but I can't bring myself to throw them back out there.  Thankfully my fiancee is patient with me there.  She collects coins, too :)

Have you heard about the Great American Coin Hunt? That would be a great way to use some of those cents. Of course you should keep any copper ones for the apocalypse, I say with a straight face, but the others might be just what some kid needs to peak his interest in the hobby.

6 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Have you heard about the Great American Coin Hunt? That would be a great way to use some of those cents. Of course you should keep any copper ones for the apocalypse, I say with a straight face, but the others might be just what some kid needs to peak his interest in the hobby.

I have heard of it, but I just can't throw my Canada cent hoard out there......but I do put stuff out there.  As you may know, I break up A LOT of Proof Sets in the course of my little coin selling venture.  When I do break up Proof Sets, there's often a couple of coins that aren't really good for my sales as they are pretty low value and if I were to wait around to get the dollar or less out of them that they would bring, our apartment would be FULL of these Proof Coins, so I just want to keep them moving.  So, I do one of two things with them.  One, I give them away as bonuses to my buyers or Two, I put them out in circulation for kids and others to find.  I actually donated some reject Canadian Proof Like Nickel Dollars to a collection for a children's hospital in my area just the other day.  So, in addition to giving someone something fun to find, they helped a good cause as well....much better than having them sit on my horrible disaster of a kitchen table that also serves as my workspace.

Cool. So you kinda do a Great American Coin Hunt on a regular basis. I am going to participate. I'm going to pick 5 of my older coins, I have none really worth anything, that will jump out at some kid as being different. Maybe it will lead to 5 kids googling the coin and developingan interest. I'll never know. So that's cool.

I think that's a great idea Karen.  It's fun to think that something that you put out there could start someone else on the path of collecting.  I still remember how it felt to find the 1947 Maple Leaf Canadian Cent that started me collecting when I was 8 years old, and I still have it.  I like to think that something I put out there may be that coin for another 8 year old.  It's a very cool thing to do, and very rewarding.

I have several cool coins with breaks that make pictures like in the clouds. Mostly Nickels but these State Quarters are good for them too. One day somebody is going to be a giant Casper the Friendly Ghost fan and I might get shed of one. Cause I definitely keep all the weird stuff I find. I find them more neat than the Doubled Dies and Rotated ones. Of course I've only found 1 DD, but one nearly an entire roll of Nickels, and never any other error except for breaks and Lamination Errors. I've got some dandys there too.

Mohawk, do you recall if I shared my awesome Retained Lam here or not? The '60 something with the piece hanging off it? I should probably go look. 300 posts is a lot to go through though. Maybe I'll just share it again. Later guys! Enjoy your weekend.