• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1969 D over D nickel

4 posts in this topic

Hey Hinkle,

Since your coin is a 1996-D, this response I posted to another inquiry applies here as well:

Ah, I see.  Well, I can tell you that your coin is definitely not a repunched mint mark.  Beginning in 1991 for cents and 1990 for other denominations, the mint mark is a feature of the master die.  They are no longer punched into the working dies by hand.  Therefore, a repunched mint mark is impossible on a 2008-D cent. From what I can tell, you have a regular 2008-D cent worth face value. 

I hope this helps!

~Tom

Mohawk's right, but I can see why the question arose. It definitely has shelving here and there, and I'm not sure how it was caused--especially the sort of diagonal part in the interior of the D.

One good learning point is that this photo shows the flow lines rather well. Mostly like spokes on a bicycle wheel, radiating out from the center--those are what we look for on an original surface.

1 hour ago, JKK said:

Mohawk's right, but I can see why the question arose. It definitely has shelving here and there, and I'm not sure how it was caused--especially the sort of diagonal part in the interior of the D.

One good learning point is that this photo shows the flow lines rather well. Mostly like spokes on a bicycle wheel, radiating out from the center--those are what we look for on an original surface.

I should have mentioned that I can see why it arose, too.  Hinkle, unlike the 2008-D Lincoln Cent I originally posted that reply to, your coin actually does look like it could have and RPM going on.  If I didn't know that such an occurrence was impossible on a 1996 dated coin, I would have honestly thought that something like that was the cause of what we're seeing.  As for a guess as to the cause of your coin, I'm going to guess machine doubling due to the shelving that JKK mentions.  When shelving occurs, machine doubling is a common cause of it.