• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for info on an oval, bimetallic, three cent token.

7 posts in this topic

I haven’t made a submission since ANACS was using small white slabs.  I’ve decided to give NGC some business with these two or three tokens 

Has anyone seen a reference to the Harrison’s Stores piece? Or know about it...have one?  

Depending on how it goes, I’d like to submit a trial strike of a prototype Mel Wacks Peace Summit design. If I can verify first that they’ll slab such a thing 

926D27BC-5905-4823-A178-66EAE758AE3A.jpeg

3130D422-FE5E-4A42-8AFE-45D4C161EAA3.jpeg

92CDDE51-DF2E-49CE-8841-3DF19B243C9F.jpeg

B5208AF1-C39E-4647-B839-16EAEFA464C9.jpeg

C8393F37-6BD5-4BF2-92DB-FBA82E30C4FA.jpeg

672BB117-4E70-4D53-9528-97D82826D1E7.jpeg

The oval token is from a company store of a coal mining company. I could not determine exactly which coal company used the store, but someone with access to a copy of Edkiins' coal scrip book might could find that information. It was used in place of cash by employees of the company. The "3" on the obverse (The side with the store name) is present on all denominations that I found, and possibly refers to the three towns in which the store operated. Since bimetal tokens were expensive to manufacture, the "3" on the reverse probably signifies 3 dollars, rather than 3 cents.

Here is a link to a good article on the use of company store tokens.

And Here is a link to pictures of a few more tokens from the same store.

Thank you 

My scrip radar didn’t work on this one.  It was in with about 20 CWTs and most coal company store scrips are distinguished from one another, even when they share a name:  Store No 1, 2, 3 or with a different punch. Anyhow,  mud on my face, I was thinking it was a regular merchant token.  I do have an old  Volume 1 Edkins which lists it as an R10 and as a 3 cent piece.  Maybe they ordered a few to try out and decided against them?

A.3 center? Interesting. I was looking at the pictures last night on my phone, and didn't realize that the token was as small as it is. Still, I don't believe I have ever seen a bimetallic token in that small of a denomination - certainly not an oval one. I think the smallest I have ever run across is a 5-cent piece. Having an odd denomination like that is very cool. And, it is in very good shape. Most of the ones that I come across are either tarnished, corroded, or cleaned. And, to top it off, it is an R-10. Very rare piece. I love it!

I also checked Rulau for that Civil War token. I noticed it was an R7. Another rare one.(thumbsu

What does it mean under the token and medal service, where it says that an accurate catalog number must accompany each medal.  Where does that information go on the submission form?  Are they referring to the Edkins number or the Fuld number?