• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Touching Silver Coins with my Bare Hands

11 posts in this topic

When I first started collecting, I touched a few burnished silver eagles with my bare hands and then put them into air tites. At the time, I didn't realize that the oil from my hands would affect the coins. Should I clean them with acetone or what would you suggest I do?........if anything. 

I would think that a swish or two in acetone would remove any remaining oils that might be on the surface of the coins. It might not completely prevent toning, but it should lessen the effects.

If they were mine, I would be tempted to leave one of them alone, just to see what happened. That is just me, though - I always have some sort of experiment going with a coin or two, just to see what happens.

There are these little plastic tongs called cointongs, they have a latch that will catch as the plastic bends to pinch your coin, I'd guess a lot of collectors have them. Might look into those. Also what I call leprechaun condoms: they are like little tiny balloons waiting to be blown up, or like condoms for someone who showed up late to the *spoon* distribution in life. The idea is you put them on your fingertips. If you have to handle a lot of uncirculated coins at a stretch, that makes it pretty convenient; you toss them after using. They sell them in bags of quite a few.