• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Liberty Half Dollars inherited

9 posts in this topic

I have a bag of app. 200 Walking Lib HDs that were likely purchased for the silver value app. 10 years ago.  A few appear to have been cleaned(?) Pictures of a few. Can post more definitely not cleaned coins later.

Would appreciate advice re whether to just sell at silver value vs. trying to sell individual coins. 

1917-S G06?

1918 VF10?

1945 AU50? but likely cleaned

1934 F125? cleaned?

1939-D VF25? cleaned?

1917-S Liberty Half Obverse edit.jpg

1917-S Liberty Half Reverse edit.jpg

1918 Liberty Half Obverse edit.jpg

1918 Liberty Half Reverse edit.jpg

1945 Liberty Half Obverse edit.jpg

1945 Liberty Half Reverse edit.jpg

1934 Liberty Half Obverse edit.jpg

1934 Liberty Half Reverse edit.jpg

1939-D Liberty Half Obverse edit.jpg

1939-D Liberty Half Reverse edit.jpg

Hoping for some feedback on my Liberty HDs.  The bag of app. 200 HDs came from my father-in-law.  A dealer "latched on to him" in his latter years.  He had started buty gold, silver & some allegedly rare coins.  After he passed away, I was able to get the dealer to purchase the "rare" coins back at the price he had paid.  I have a small collection of coins & I'm trying to decide if some of the HDs are worth more to collectors or the silver value.  Thanks for any comments!

On 1/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, Unclewilley said:

Hoping for some feedback on my Liberty HDs.  The bag of app. 200 HDs came from my father-in-law.  A dealer "latched on to him" in his latter years.  He had started buty gold, silver & some allegedly rare coins.  After he passed away, I was able to get the dealer to purchase the "rare" coins back at the price he had paid.  I have a small collection of coins & I'm trying to decide if some of the HDs are worth more to collectors or the silver value.  Thanks for any comments!

Well.....it's pretty much impossible to evaluate 200 coins with pictures of just a few.  That's probably why you're not getting a response.  However, based on what you've posted, you have coins worth bullion value.  They are either low grade, appear to be cleaned or both.   Did you show these coins to the dealer you mention or another dealer?  If not, that would be a good move, I think. 

I agree that the coins you are posting are cleaned and/or low grade. 

If they all looked like that, and you do end up selling them for bullion value, you will do better selling them privately rather than at an LCS - as any dealer has to buy lower than he will resell.

However, if you can post pictures of the higher grade or uncleaned ones, that would be helpful. 

8 hours ago, thisistheshow said:

I agree that the coins you are posting are cleaned and/or low grade. 

If they all looked like that, and you do end up selling them for bullion value, you will do better selling them privately rather than at an LCS - as any dealer has to buy lower than he will resell.

However, if you can post pictures of the higher grade or uncleaned ones, that would be helpful. 

Only a small portion of the 200 coins appear cleaned.  All are definitely below AU so likely not worth trying to sell on ebay etc. I'll take some pics of what appear to me to be higher grade and post soon.

4 hours ago, Unclewilley said:

Only a small portion of the 200 coins appear cleaned.  All are definitely below AU so likely not worth trying to sell on ebay etc. I'll take some pics of what appear to me to be higher grade and post soon.

To sell them individually or in small lots on eBay, even if not AU, may give you better returns-but of course you have to factor in the considerable time,etc that would take. Since you have so many, you could always test a few using different methods (BIN, 99 cent auction) and see how they do.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:36 AM, thisistheshow said:

To sell them individually or in small lots on eBay, even if not AU, may give you better returns-but of course you have to factor in the considerable time,etc that would take. Since you have so many, you could always test a few using different methods (BIN, 99 cent auction) and see how they do.

I recently did just that myself, turning some coins into cash. Was shocked at the 13% fee, (ebay 10%, pay pal 3%)