• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1969 d pac man

10 posts in this topic

20190112_202014.thumb.jpg.0e95db7cf2a0139d735fd6a5fece3560.jpgI have a lot of 1977 coins. Don't under stand about looking for a pac man. Or if there is one. But the closest pac man I found that looks kinda realistic is on the back of a 1969 d. The E next to pluribus. Going after the dots.

The so-called "Pac-man" error coin was some hucksters attempt to pass off a coin with a damaged "D" mint mark as an actual mint error. There is no such thing.

Your coin looks like it had a slightly chipped die at the "E" of the reverse motto.  Kind of cool looking, and it does resemble something trying to eat the dot.

Don't bother looking for a Pac Man Error.  There's no such thing.  This whole "Pac Man" thing is the result of an Etsy listing trying to sell a damaged 1977-D Lincoln Cent worth a cent for $50,000.  Here's a thread where this has been discussed before:

https://www.ngccoin.com/boards/topic/413198-2nd-1977-pac-man-error-coin-found/?tab=comments#comment-9679758

There are plenty of real errors out there to hunt for.  Don't waste your time on this. And definitely don't waste any time on Etsy regarding coins.  That place is the worst numismatic cesspool I can think of. 

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

The so-called "Pac-man" error coin was some hucksters attempt to pass off a coin with a damaged "D" mint mark as an actual mint error. There is no such thing.

Your coin looks like it had a slightly filled die at the "E" of the reverse motto.  Kind of cool looking, and it does resemble something trying to eat the dot.

Great minds think alike!

4 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Great minds think alike!

We must have been typing at the same time. I knew you would respond to this thread when you saw it ;)

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

We must have been typing at the same time. I knew you would respond to this thread when you saw it ;)

You called that one my friend, you did indeed :) 

3 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

Thanks for the info. Didn't think there was an error. 

No problem.  Glad to help. 

On 1/12/2019 at 9:24 PM, Mohawk said:

No problem.  Glad to help. 

Is this coin worth to send in to be looked at. Just curious.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:24 PM, Hinkle said:

20190112_202014.thumb.jpg.0e95db7cf2a0139d735fd6a5fece3560.jpgI have a lot of 1977 coins. Don't under stand about looking for a pac man. Or if there is one. But the closest pac man I found that looks kinda realistic is on the back of a 1969 d. The E next to pluribus. Going after the dots.

Is this still the 1969-D?  If so, then no, it's not.  1969-D cents are extremely common, especially in circulated grades like your coin, and we've established that your coin is just a regular 1969-D, no errors or varieties.  It's worth face value, so it's definitely not worth the expense of sending in.