• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2018 American Innovation Coin

9 posts in this topic

Well, my 2 cents would be, look at what happened with the presidential dollars, the series that preceded this. You had a lot of initial enthusiasm and interest. That momentum held for a while, but, as the series dragged on, you eventually had that enthusiasm fade. Lots of people lost interest, prices collapsed for mint state examples and the error coins, which made interest collapse even more - people don't like getting burned like that.

I think the population as a whole is not nearly as interested in collecting these dollars as they were the quarters, particularly the statehood quarters. I think these dollar coins, unlike the quarter series, suffer from the fact that everyone keeps using dollar bills, if they even use cash  these days (lots of people don't) and nobody really seems to want to deal with dollar coins - lots of people these days don't deal with coins at all for that matter in day-to-day transactions. I also think you have a lot of collector fatigue setting in amongst the general population. The state quarters were dynamite. Lightning in a bottle. The problem is the mint and the congress couldn't leave a good thing be and couldn't let it end. They had to keep the music going. So we had to have an 11th year of the statehood quarters and then the presidential dollars, AND the America the Beautiful coins AND the Native American Heritage dollars, AND the different Lincoln cent reverses in 2009 and 2010, AND the Western Journey Jefferson nickels, AND NOW THIS! The only series they haven't screwed with for some collector's gimmick in the last 20 years are the dimes and the half dollars, and no one uses the half dollars.

If YOU like them, if YOU have interest in them / having them slabbed / graded by NGC, I'd go for it. Collect them and enjoy. That said, I don't expect these things to ever be heavily collected or very valuable. They already have one strike against them in that the first coin in the series doesn't look like anything special and it has me worried that this whole series is going to be very uninspired and "blah."

Personally I'm on the fence because I think they could be fun to share with / show my sons as they get older. I love history. I love talking about history - something I picked up from my mother, who majored in History and taught it for years. I think these could be fun in that role. However, just like I said with my recent journal on the presidential dollars, I view this more as a "dad" project than a "coin collecting" effort. I really wish I knew or could have a list of what inventors / inventions they're planning on honoring. That would really help me in deciding if I'm going to feel like it's worth it. I wish they hadn't had to make this a 1 per state thing.

I really wish they would have just picked a specific series of inventors / inventions that are iconic moments in American history and honored those regardless of state of origin. The Eastern states that went though the industrial revolution are going to have a lot more interesting things to offer a series like this than some of the Western states I suspect.

Okay... that was longer than I'd expected going into it, but there ya go.

As with most other moderns made for circulation, I think if it won't grade higher than 67 it probably isn't worth having graded.  Anything lower than that will probably be available by the bushel.  On 2019's and later you might have to go up to better than 68 because those will also be in mint sets and better surviving pieces will be more common.

Rev and Conder,

I appreciate the feedback. I really started thinking about these coins and have changed my mind. Rev, you mentioned the state quarter program. I do think they overdid it, but I also think it worked because the coins were what we're all "used to." We all know quarters! America is going to plastic currency and the dollar coin never caught on and I really doubt it's going to catch on now. I have more Presidential dollars than I like to think about. The other problem I see, is that the program is going to take what....19 years??? I just can't see people hanging on for that long. Plus, there is no limit on production. The only positive I can see, is if sales are poor and a few years from now, they suspend the program. That might make them valuable. Of course trying to "guess" can drive you right into the poor house too! 

Conder, So far, they don't look like they're grading real well. I was watching HSN and they had over 1200 sets for sale, that were graded by Anacs. I think the highest grade was a 67. They're trying to trick people into buying those sets, so they can reel them in for graded coins every time a new one comes out. I think I'll stick to my other coins.

Thank you both for your opinions.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:58 AM, investinrehabs said:

Conder, So far, they don't look like they're grading real well. I was watching HSN and they had over 1200 sets for sale, that were graded by Anacs. I think the highest grade was a 67.

The 2018 coins have had no special handling, they are just run of the mill production coins.  Anything higher than a 67 will be tough but 66's probably won't be that uncommon.  67's who knows.  But starting this year they will be in the mint sets as well so high grade coins will be much more common.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:57 AM, Conder101 said:

The 2018 coins have had no special handling, they are just run of the mill production coins.  Anything higher than a 67 will be tough but 66's probably won't be that uncommon.  67's who knows.  But starting this year they will be in the mint sets as well so high grade coins will be much more common.

Did they do away with the SMS Satin finish in the mint sets?