• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Mexico 50 Pesos 1821-1947 37.5 gram

7 posts in this topic

A friend of mine has a Gold Mexico 50 Pesos 1821-1947 37.5 gram coin that has been in his family awhile.  I noticed a spot on the front and thought it was odd so I weighed it.  It weighs 41.5 grams.  Is it for sure a fake then? 

Thanks

47f.jpg

47 rev1.jpg

47s.jpg

1 hour ago, benjmurts said:

Thanks Bob that is great news

I hope I did not speak too soon. :blush: I just did some checking, and the tolerance for a double eagle, the largest gold coin for which I have specs , is only .032 grams. Granted, it weighs more than 8 grams less than the 50 peso, but that amount is still much less than .166 grams. It is possible that a combination of slightly underweight planchet/ slightly off scales/ slight loss from handling could account for the difference in weight, but if there is any doubt in their minds as to authenticity, it may not be a bad idea to have it checked. It is not a cheap coin, and the peace of mind might be worth it.