• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1604 Ireland sixpence (details and GTG)

3 posts in this topic

Apart from two 1887 half-crowns, an 1806 quarter and a 1916 Mercury dime, this is the only other silver coin I have in my collection. I usually devote all my resources to copper, but this one just seemed to fit.

I finally had a few minutes to do some more research and I discovered some very interesting details. For instance, to date these coins you must examine the mintmark. This coin has a Martlet (small bird) which indicates that it was likely struck sometime after March of 1604. There are two different series of James I sixpences. The easiest distinction between the two can be made by examining the obverse legends. Series 1 (1603-4) has the obverse legend IACOBVS D G ANG SCO FRA ET HIB REX” meaning “King of England Scotland France and Ireland”. Series 2 (1604-1607: although likely struck until 1616) had the obverse legend “IACOBVS D G MAG BRIT FRA ET HIB REX” meaning “James King of Great Britain, France, and Ireland”. Oddly enough the Martlet was used for coins struck in 1604 for both series 1 and 2, although some distinction can be made by looking at the obverse legends.

From what I can tell this coin appears to be a series 1 (1604: Martlet) second bust sixpence. These coins are very uncommon with clear legends and are most often found bent and weakly struck. I am very happy to have added this one to my collection. I will likely submit this one along with a bunch of other stuff to NGC sometime in January. Any interest in a GTG for this coin? If so, just comment your guess and I will post the grade when it comes back. I will likely post a larger GTG for my actual submission, but this could be fun and maybe even a little practice for those competing at FUN (although NGC grades would most definitely not be available before the show)! Pictures are below to yet again show off my terrible photography skills. :facepalm:

2084878788_1603-4Ireland6PenceObv..jpg.3808dda81e24ce53c1a59ef87e4e42ca.jpg1227755214_1603-4Ireland6PenceRev..jpg.443e30a007cf851d3ae4d4d10209f4f0.jpg 

On 12/19/2018 at 8:06 PM, thebeav said:

I really have no idea how such a coin would grade but......Net VF, environmental damage, scratched.......

I think VF is a fair estimate for this coin. The pictures really make this coin look off. In hand it has a really nice even gray tone. It is possible that it may net grade because of the obverse scratch, but if I had to guess base case scenario I would likely say VF-30. There are only 4 of these coins graded with NGC (3 straight grades and 1 net grade) and none at PCGS from what I can tell, so finding a certified example to compare to is not easy. Del Parker has a nice 1603 example he grades XF on his website (http://irishcoins.com/?id=5484&banner=1).