• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R U Buying Yourself Coins for Christmas?

9 posts in this topic

With it being that time of year, are you purchasing for yourself, another, any big ticket items or holding off for upcoming auctions? 

Maybe your a seller or both? Feel free to share your strategies and/or what you've already bought yourself....being Christmas and all.....peace :angel:

I just bought a present for myself. It's neither gem, nor super expensive, but I really like it. It's coming all the way from Switzerland, and should be arriving within the next few days. Until I found this one, I never even knew that the type existed. I'm considering trying to complete the series with AU-55 and higher grade examples as it seems to be a fairly short series, and one that I might be able to afford.

I never had any interest in German coins, but I've been looking at a lot of them, recently, and I really like what I'm seeing. I wish I had investigated them, long ago.

Picture is borrowed from the seller. What do you all think? To me, it appears to be genuine?? It was sold as a KM-124, but I believe it to be a KM-122. I wish that I could find an image of a KM-122 to help in verifying.

Edited to add: I found pictures of a KM-122, and my coin is not a match. The reverse does not match. Also, on the obverse of my coin there is no dot after "Mark". I've come to the conclusion that none of the 5 examples of the 1820, German States, 16 Gute Groschen coins, in the World Coin Price Guide, are a match to mine. Makes me wonder if I might have an unknown variety?

Happy hunting, everyone!

16 Gute Groschen Conv Munze Fein Silber_1.jpg

38 minutes ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

Complete the Series in AU...a perfect, true collector grade...I like that coin, seen one like it before, it's been a while...good job!!!

Thank you. I do appreciate your reply. I was beginning to think that no-one else liked it. :bigsmile:

Are you getting yourself any goodies for Christmas, Numismatic?

2 hours ago, bottlebum said:

Thank you. I do appreciate your reply. I was beginning to think that no-one else liked it. :bigsmile:

Are you getting yourself any goodies for Christmas, Numismatic?

I am dealing with a change right now...after 35 yrs of collecting I need to take a step back. I need to relearn how to enjoy coins again, not just go after low mintage, certain errors....I kinda lived pretty poor to stick everything into coins and it needs to stop...OK, done with that...I did get some modern proof Gold, low mintage pucks...A few Bust Halves...bought some bullion...I'm in the process of getting alot of pictures together and I plan to post pictures and type less....I just love coins and know I'm crazy about it..

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:27 AM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I am dealing with a change right now...after 35 yrs of collecting I need to take a step back. I need to relearn how to enjoy coins again, not just go after low mintage, certain errors....I kinda lived pretty poor to stick everything into coins and it needs to stop...OK, done with that...I did get some modern proof Gold, low mintage pucks...A few Bust Halves...bought some bullion...I'm in the process of getting alot of pictures together and I plan to post pictures and type less....I just love coins and know I'm crazy about it..

Yeah bin there dun that  :-) and I am sure most of us have gotten obsessive compulsive at one time with this here hobby. 

Been crazy and just got less crazy  hehe

Something to feast your eyes on my friend

TD1.jpg

TD2.jpg

2 hours ago, jgrinz said:

Yeah bin there dun that  :-) and I am sure most of us have gotten obsessive compulsive at one time with this here hobby. 

Been crazy and just got less crazy  hehe

Something to feast your eyes on my friend

TD1.jpg

TD2.jpg

Excellent, good to see some original toning on a superb example, those fields look so smooth....Awesome Coin!!! Congrats!!

I worked it out with my wife that part of my Christmas budget would go into my coin budget. That was when I was thinking that I wasn't going to buy anything before Christmas. When a coin I really wanted popped up in early December that changed. I won it on 12/11 and got it in the mail on 12/18, so I handed it over to my wife and told her that our 2 year old could wrap it and put it under the tree for daddy. He's nearly 3. This is the first year he's been old enough to get into wrapping and unwrapping presents and getting into the tree and the snowman and Santa so it's been a fun year in that regard.