• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very Strange! Is this 2018 D copper shield cent an error? Unusual! All replies are mine due to file size to add photos so I'm still patiently waiting for replies.

8 posts in this topic

I save pennies in a jar and when it gets full I break out my 16x jewelers loup&scale and go through them looking for errors, oddities, varieties, and or key dates, I happened to notice this 2018 D shield cent looked like two pennies stacked kinda sort of with what looks to be other letters between letters and or numbers around the collar in various places and looks to be a channel or two collars, but don't look broad struck, looks almost to be a double denomination error, there are concave letters or numbers as well as convex letters and or numbers as well on both O/R of it and when turned upside down looks like other motos, mm, letters, VDB,  and or date right side up(opposite reverse n obverse) I sure would appreciate any feedback, opinions, or knowledge on this! Error? Value? Rarity? Or Just another penny? Thanks, Capone1929

1 hour ago, Capone1929 said:

IMG_20181126_153230.jpg

IMG_20181126_152130.jpg

IMG_20181126_152711.jpg

IMG_20181126_152350.jpg

You can see what looks to be a ghosted upside down T and other letters by enicials, and in channel next to collar and a T or letter ghosted between the D in united and S in states as well, "I think" Sure appears to protrude (cud like lettering) from the surface to me, maybe I'm crazy", but the others stick up out of channel by the collar not on or apart of the collar exactly and looks off set appears like two separate sets, does not appear to be D/DO like, looks like letters between letters in the moto(like two whole separate motos!) Or upside down of other! Any feedback would be great Thank you!

Thank you for your replies All, Ok I know die fatigue is common in a lot of coins and dies as they degrade with each strike, however although worn, I'm not even sure if it's worn die, possible struck through error pretty common, misaligned die still possible, but if a worn die with the coins unique issues, would it be considered an error? I know that is a rhetorical question, most worn die issues not considered to be an error that demands a premium, however would this be an exception? Off subject, however, I also have another question as well. How do I sell coins on here instead of eBay or how do I get endorsed for lack of a better word or sell unauthenticated nice coins that would still have the confidence of NGC? My eBay store is SomethingForEveryone-u2 on eBay, been a long time preferred seller, however I need a plane ticket to visit my brother n family for Christmas I haven't seen for 8 years, I have some very nice Authentic Coins, Ive held for years or purchased with integrity and an educated cherry pick  such as a partial set of key peace dollars including a nice 1921 high relief nice 1928 S 22'S Rainbow toned beauty n Rainbow 22' P with vintage thick Whitman folder, a couple graded other graders MS65 toned and a set of 1929 brown seal $20 set of 6/12 half a complete set including a KC, STL, CHI, NY, Richmond, and philly in nice shape with better serials plus a NY $10 brown, never intended to sell, but given the circumstances, I'm entertaining offers for some or all! Thank you all and sorry for the novel saga reply! May include some freebies I have a lot n more key dates as well as an NGC slabbed pf69 2001 Silver State set o five ultra cameos as well!  I may part with other upon inquiry! A couple items listed on eBay as previously stated, sold several with positive feedback too boot almost a decade at 100% positive, Thanks again, Capone1929