• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on a broadstruck 1882 CC Morgan please.

15 posts in this topic

On the tails side it was struck a bit off center being wider to the left and at 2 o’clock there’s a ring on it. It’s a real coin I am sure. I don’t know much about errors I just assumed off center and all... thanks for any thoughts....

A broadstruck coin is one that has been struck without the retaining collar in place. Your coin does not appear to be broadstruck. It may be slightly off center, but not enough to command any premium. The whole coin has an odd look to it. It could very well be genuine ,  though. I am certainly no Morgan expert. 

As Just Bob said a broadstruck coin hasbeen struck without the collar present.  Since the coller is what imparted the reeded edge on the coin a broadsike will have a plain rounded edge.  If the collar is partially in place you can have a partial collar or tilted partial collar error.  So the key indicator is the edge of the coin which cannot be seen in that holder.

12 minutes ago, Silver man 46 said:

The coin weight and measurements are spot on if anyone has any real or fake ideas. This coin was passed down a family and was figured it was collected in the 50s. We’re they counterfeiting them then?

I can't find the first date a Morgan dollar was reported to be counterfeited but who knows how long the Chinese have been counterfeiting money.  I'll keep searching.

10 minutes ago, Silver man 46 said:

I would think back then  counterfeiting silver coins may have been a poor bissnes. What was the value of silver dollar?🤑

From research it has been recorded that counterfeiting was going on in the United States from the time of Jamestown landing.  It depended on your time frame as to how much a dollar coin would buy you but imagine if in 1775 you had one hundred counterfeit coins. 

Well the old saying “ Just Joshing you....” comes from gold rush California. A deaf mute man by the name Jaushua something was loading his shotgun with gold dust shooting it one to 1 dollar silver and passing them to merchants in Lou of pay for his goods. The unsuspecting merchant would assume it to be a 5 dollar gold piece. Because he was deaf mute he never said anything. So when he was tried he was found not guilty. The merchant was a fool for assuming.

That story is a corruption of the Josh Tatum myth of the gold plated 1883 no cents V nickels.  And no merchant would accept a gold dusted of plated silver dollar as being a 5 dollar gold piece.  One it says One Dollar on it, and two it is almost five times too large.  A five dollar gold coin was the size of a nickel.

The term "Joshing you" does date from the 1840's (Much too early to refer to the mythical Josh Tatum) but it has no relationship to your story either.

As to when Morgan dollars were first counterfeited, it was a LONG time ago.  There are references to what were most likely the micro O counterfeits as early as shortly after the turn of the 20th century.  And they were made of good silver as well. At that time the silver on a silver dollar was worth about 30 to 50 cents.  The profit sounds small to us, but back then that 50 cents represented a half days pay, and if you could come up with the silver, a coining press could crank out the equivalent of two weeks wages in profits every minute.  What would you think if you had a machine that gave you a months wages every two minutes?  Worthwhile?