• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found something very unusual recently, So-called Dollar Discovery Piece!

5 posts in this topic

This might be in the weeds for people who are not avid collectors of So-called Dollars, but it is, I think, an important discovery that changes the identification standards for original Dickeson Continental Currency Dollar medals.

The 1876 originals were previously though to range between 3 mm and 3.4 mm thick. This standard has been used for decades and was probably made popular by Hibler and Kappen. Thickness alone is often used as the diagnostic feature for identification and differentiation between originals and later restrikes of Bowers and Bashlow.

However, we found an early die state, 1876 original on a 2mm planchet! With full table top details, thick rims, fat, connected beading, orange peel textured Prooflike fields, and Cameo contrast, it is an unmistakable 1876 original, strike from an earlier stage of the dies than many pieces that have been seen by us. The unusually thin planchet could either be the result of this being an experimental Die Trial, or because it may have been part of an early batch of thinner medals that were subsequently discarded in favor of thicker examples.

It is difficult to say why it exists, but because it does exists, HK-854 can no longer be identified strictly by its thickness. This is imperative information that medal collectors and So-called dollar enthusiasts need to know, especially because the Bowers Restrike is a similar 2.5mm white metal issue.

I wrote an article about this discovery recently: Thin Planchet 1876 Dickeson Continental Currency Dollar Discovered: Possible Die Trial HK-854 Changes the Standards for Identification.

I also recommend reading our related article, Distinguishing Dickeson's Dollars, for more information. Although, this discovery makes some of what I wrote there obsolete. I will have to revise it at some point.

I hope you enjoy these articles and find the information useful in your collecting pursuits!

Doug

DM Rare Coins

1876o854b.JPG

Thanks, Bob and thebeav!

I want to give credit to Victor, EZ-E, for starting me on a long journey of discovery with the many variations of Dickeson Continental Dollar restrikes. We have shared many coins and stories along the way.

I have always thought the story behind the coins was just as fascinating as the coins themselves, and that knowledge and research should be shared, in this hobby, when a discovery is made.

I don't know if anyone was watching the two Dickeson originals, HK-853 and HK-854, that were auctioned as part of the Eric Newman collection earlier this month. Both seemed to be later die states than this thin planchet piece.