• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New and need some help.

5 posts in this topic

I have run across some German coins from 1880-1899 and GERMANY COIN 5P 1800 -1899 XFINE - UNCIRCULATED this is his ad. I just don't feel that there uncirculated but I'm new and maybe wrong. Would like any information before purchasing. Any help will be welcome.  

Most sellers overgrade in my experience, so I would not expect their definition of EF to match up to those of the grading services. Imperial German post-unification 5pf coins are pretty common for most mints (that's the big issue; there are like eight mint marks per year), but very nice ones can be valuable. When I get these, I look for quality of detail on the eagle, since most of the stuff on the reverse is basically flat. If the eagle's high points look pretty sharp, or lightly worn, that's good. You're going to have fun zeroing in on the mint marks--hope you have a loupe.