• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daniel Carr Peace Dollar collection.

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

As a new collector, I would like to find out if it is worthy to add Daniel Carr Peace Dollar collection into my entire peace dollar collection?  Any suggestion/advice will be helpful.

If you are a PD collector, would you add them into your PD collection? 

Thanks.

HB

• Administrator

Thank you for your post. Collecting is always up to the individual but I am sure some of our fellow chat board users can offer their suggestion. I have moved your post from "ASK NGC/NCS," to the "Newbie Coin Collection Questions."

On 9/20/2018 at 11:30 AM, HealthBabe said:

Hi All,

As a new collector, I would like to find out if it is worthy to add Daniel Carr Peace Dollar collection into my entire peace dollar collection?  Any suggestion/advice will be helpful.

If you are a PD collector, would you add them into your PD collection? 

Thanks.

HB

Hello and Welcome!

First off, I'd like to reiterate what Matt said to you......it's your collection and you can ultimately collect what you wish.  As far as the Dan Carr pieces.......I'll warn you now that Carr's "overstrike" coins are a touchy subject around here.  Now that you have that heads up, I'll give you my thoughts.  If I were a Peace Dollar series collector, I would not include Carr's pieces in my collection.  Before I go into my reasons why, I'd like to say that I'm just stating my feelings on this issue and answer a new collector's question, not restarting this whole argument.  Now, my reasoning.  Carr's coins are not actual coinage issues.  They are fakes made from real coins by overstriking them.  While I'm sure there are many Peace Dollar collectors who would love to have a 1964-D Peace Dollar in their collections, that's an impossible goal.  Carr's 1964-D Peace Dollar is not a real 1964-D dollar and including that "coin" does not make one's collection include that issue anymore than a collection without the Carr piece.  Carr's 1964-D "coin" is also rather expensive, and you could use that money toward actual Peace Dollar dates that are pricier.  I'd rather use the money that purchasing Carr's "Peace Dollars" would cost you toward a nice 1934-S, which is a real, legitimate key date issue or toward my 1928.  Those purchases would actually enhance your collection with genuine coins.  Putting a couple of hundred dollars toward the Carr pieces would not.

These are just my thoughts on this issue.  As always, I hope that I was of some help to you!

~Tom

Hi Tom and Matt,

Thanks for your assistance and advice. I was in between getting it or not getting it. His fantasy PD coins do look attractive. However, When I think about their valuation in long term, they do not appear to be a performer like other real issues of PD or they might have reached the peak of their value.

What you said about the actual coinage issues of Carr's design is true. I personally will consider they are nothing more than a piece of Silver Round with high premium.  I totally agree with you on spending my dollars toward other PDs like 1927P/S and 1934P/S since I had already gotten the 1921 and 1928 PDs.

Thanks a bunch and have wonderful day.

HB

21 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hello and Welcome!

First off, I'd like to reiterate what Matt said to you......it's your collection and you can ultimately collect what you wish.  As far as the Dan Carr pieces.......I'll warn you now that Carr's "overstrike" coins are a touchy subject around here.  Now that you have that heads up, I'll give you my thoughts.  If I were a Peace Dollar series collector, I would not include Carr's pieces in my collection.  Before I go into my reasons why, I'd like to say that I'm just stating my feelings on this issue and answer a new collector's question, not restart this whole argument.  Now, my reasoning.  Carr's coins are not actual coinage issues.  They are fakes made from real coins by overstriking them.  While I'm sure there are many Peace Dollar collectors who would love to have a 1964-D Peace Dollar in their collections, that's an impossible goal.  Carr's 1964-D Peace Dollar is not a real 1964-D dollar and including that "coin" does not make one's collection include that issue anymore than a collection without the Carr piece.  Carr's 1964-D "coin" is also rather expensive, and you could use that money toward actual Peace Dollar dates that are pricier.  I'd rather use the money that purchasing Carr's "Peace Dollars" would cost you toward a nice 1934-S, which is a real, legitimate key date issue or toward my 1928.  Those purchases would actually enhance your collection with genuine coins.  Putting a couple of hundred dollars toward the Carr pieces would not.

These are just my thoughts on this issue.  As always, I hope that I was of some help to you!

~Tom

:golfclap: