• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting coin graded

7 posts in this topic

I am basically new to this grading stuff.

I just purchased the American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coin. How do I handle this coin to maintain it's maximum value and should I send it in to get it graded and slabbed? I want to do whatever gives the coin it's maximum value and what is proper to store it to maintain it's full value.

Another thing to sum it up for me what is the proper process to get coin graded?

Any help or ideas you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Ed 

Hi and welcome.  First you must decide:  are you collecting coins or storing bullion?  I buy the American and Canadian gold coins, brilliant uncirculated, as bullion and do not have them slabbed.  I store them in the package they came in.  Hope this was of some help.  :)

Hi Alex in PA. Thanks for your reply. I guess for most of my coins it is more of a bullion type collection. It is based on the precious metal value then what the coin actually is. As for the American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coin I have coming it is not for the weight in palladium. The coin actually cost way more then the current value of an ounce of palladium. This is the reason I am trying to figure out the proper handling and or grading of this particular coin so that I keep maximum value of it. As an investment it would be a shame to mishandle it by the way I store it or not having it properly graded and losing maximum value of it.

I buy coins and bullion from Provident Metals often. They contacted me via email, and many others I know, to purchase this coin and then turn around and sell it to them for a $100 profit. Though this would have been quick money I feel if I wanted to make quick money I probably could do it by selling it myself with same or probably better profit. This being said it isn't what I want to do. I plan on holding this coin as an investment and want to make sure I do the proper things to get maximum value when I do decide to sell it which could be in a year or 10 years.

Thanks again,

Ed

I'm sure if you submit your coin and it gets a decent Mint State or Proof grade you will only increase the value of the coin.  Also encapsulation by NGC or PCGS is a good way to protect your coin.  So, no matter how you choose to store your coin good luck.

PS:  I encapsulate my collectible coins with NGC.  I like their holder.

I purchase gold and silver bullion from the same reputable dealer I have for years.  Sometimes it's in the form of US American Gold Eagles and Canadian coins.  It is sold as "Brilliant Uncirculated".  Do I send them in for a grade/slab:  No.  I figure while I am getting a Mint State coin the really good ones in Mint State 66 upwards have already been gleaned out; if they were not the dealer wouldn't be very good, would they?  So I don't have these bullion coins graded; am I wrong because I want to save a few bucks? 

PS:  My bullion dealer will also sell bullion coins slabed and graded by NGC or PCGS (your choice).

Thanks Mk123 and Alex in PA.

I have found those videos on YouTube and it has helped a lot.

It's confusing to me and I have lots of questions because I fight some thinking issues due to a brain surgery I had a few years ago. Honestly I need to wait for my son to come back from a business trip before I pull the trigger on trying to send this coin and maybe a few others in.

As far as my regular purchases from provident I fully agree with what you said Alex. I typically take what comes from provident and slip them into those plastic capsules.  My son told me not to touch them. He wears gloves but I manage to slide them into capsules without touching.

Sorry got carried away with explanation.

So bottom line I am understanding process better but honestly need to wait for my son. YouTube has helped. Hearing a bullion and coin collectors opinion like Alex has helped.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ef