• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Slab making sounds

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me with this as I have never experienced this before. I recently acquired a Pakistan 1977 1000 Rupees Gold coin, which is graded by NGC. The thing which is making me un easy is that when I shake the slab I can hear an obvious sound like white plastic is not fixed and is moving. Has anyone experienced this before? Is this a sign that slab was either opened or it  is a counterfeit? any help will be highly appreciated

Thanks

@omer30 did you look carefully to see if maybe the coin is partially loose from the prongs? With fakes, swaps, etc floating around, always double check the cert numbers and compare NGC pics to what your buying.

If anything post pics in the Ask NGC/NCS section, someone from NGC will reply to you there

I also have this sound on a couple of my recent acquisitions.  All are modern, a 2017 quarter, 2009 dime, and 2011 presidential dollar.  There might be a couple more in the mix too that have a rattle.  Anything to be concerned with?

Thanks

On 9/5/2018 at 5:25 PM, omer30 said:

Hello all,

I hope someone can help me with this as I have never experienced this before. I recently acquired a Pakistan 1977 1000 Rupees Gold coin, which is graded by NGC. The thing which is making me un easy is that when I shake the slab I can hear an obvious sound like white plastic is not fixed and is moving. Has anyone experienced this before? Is this a sign that slab was either opened or it  is a counterfeit? any help will be highly appreciated

Thanks

Sometimes the white rubber insert does not fit perfectly inside the shell and will rattle when shaken. As long as the coin is not loose to the point where it could rub against the shell, there is no serious problem.