• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Me Understand The Grade

6 posts in this topic

I recently submitted a lot of 6 coins for crossover.

Of the 6, three did not cross. I am attaching the pictures of the coins that did not cross and asking opinions as to what you think the grades are or should be andwhy they did not cross.

Thanks!

1946 MS67FB Obverse.jpg

1946 MS67FB Reverse.jpg

1951-D MS67 FB Obverse.jpg

1951-D MS67 FB Reverse.jpg

1951-S Roosevelt Dime PCGS MS66FB Portrait Obverse.jpg

1951-S Roosevelt Dime PCGS MS66FB Portrait Reverse.jpg

I like the look of all three. They all look "un-messed-with".

I am going to venture a guess that you tried to cross all three at 67, and NGC said no.

I requested the 46 to be crossover at MS67 FT from same grade FT. Holder also has a QA sticker on it. Coin was BB due to being cleaned.

The 51-D they would not cross from MS67. The 51-S they would not cross at MS66.

Honestly, I cannot understand their opinion on any of the three. I thought the 51-S had a chance at a 67 even!

On 7/17/2018 at 11:29 AM, Simple Collector said:

I requested the 46 to be crossover at MS67 FT from same grade FT. Holder also has a QA sticker on it. Coin was BB due to being cleaned.

The 51-D they would not cross from MS67. The 51-S they would not cross at MS66.

Honestly, I cannot understand their opinion on any of the three. I thought the 51-S had a chance at a 67 even!

not even close. you will learn in time we all started off totally lost and even after over 60 years collecting i still make some dandy mistakes

On 7/12/2018 at 1:34 PM, Simple Collector said:

I recently submitted a lot of 6 coins for crossover.

Of the 6, three did not cross. I am attaching the pictures of the coins that did not cross and asking opinions as to what you think the grades are or should be andwhy they did not cross.

Thanks!

1946 MS67FB Obverse.jpg

1946 MS67FB Reverse.jpg

1951-D MS67 FB Obverse.jpg

1951-D MS67 FB Reverse.jpg

1951-S Roosevelt Dime PCGS MS66FB Portrait Obverse.jpg

1951-S Roosevelt Dime PCGS MS66FB Portrait Reverse.jpg

The diffused lighting, used to take these images, makes them impossible to use to determine grade.

In terms of speculation:

It's possible the 1946 may have a wheel mark of a patch of wiping lines somewhere on the coin. That's all it takes to get "Improperly Cleaned." The whole coin doesn't have to be cleaned. I can see several large bag marks on the reverse of the 51-D, and the dark rims on the obverse could hurt it. The 51-S doesn't have any visible flaws.