• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 SMS penny or proof penny?

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. My question is if my 1964 penny is maybe a SMS Special Strike, or a proof or neither? Here's my picture. How can one tell if it is a proof or an SMS Special Strike coin?

20180711_212315.jpg

Hello and Welcome,

Well, from what I can see, you have a normal circulation strike 1964 cent.  A proof coin will have mirrored surfaces and sharp details as proofs are struck at least twice on polished planchets using polished dies.  As for SMS coins for 1964, they are extremely rare prototypes for the full scale 1965 SMS coinage and I believe that all of the known examples came from the estate of Eva Adams, who was the Director of the US Mint at the time that SMS coins were struck.  But an SMS coin from 1964 will have a similar appearance to one from 1965, with a satiny luster similar to a Business Strike but with a sharp strike and level of detail similar to true Proof Strikes.  However, I wouldn't worry about 1964 SMS coins for the reasons listed above.  You won't just randomly find one.

I hope this is of some help!

~Tom

What about this 1964 could it possibly be the SMS I've compared this penny with the true 1964 SMS and the rim is sharp square like the real SMS the detail on the strike is impeccable the red color is there it's not real shiny like a proof would be what do you think please help me thank you

mir_20200602_150350.jpg

mir_20200602_150514.jpg

If you can't trace your coin back to the sale of the coins from Eva Adams estate, then you don't have an 1964 SMS coin.

"1964 SMS" is marketing hype for an early strike off new dies. No objective meaning, and reported "authentications" are strictly male bovine excrement.

Your coin is a normal 1964 cent - nothing else.