• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE EMPIRE "STRIKES" BACK!!!

10 posts in this topic

MY LAST POST WAS A COUPLE OF BROAD STRIKE DIMES. REALLY?SOME ONE THIUGHT THEY WERE POST MINT ABUSE?COME ON GUY'S. WELL THIS ONE HAD A SEIZURE OR FIT!AFTER SEEING TENS OF THOUSANDS OF 1980 LINCOLNS THIS ONE IS DISTURBS ME.ITS POSSESSED.NOW CHECK THIS OUT...HAS ANYONE GONE THROUGH ROLLS WHERE IT SEEMS THE COINS ARE "PAINTED LIKE NEW"?I RAN INTO 10+PENNY ROLLS WITH "TREATED"COINS OF APPROXIMATELY 60%+OF EACH ROLL. I  KID YOU NOT!!!SPECULATION HAS NO PLACE WITH THIS EVENT...WHAT THE F:(!?..THIS HAD WHATEVER IT WAS ON IT B4 I CLEANED IT

P.S. THE SUBSTANCE DID NOT REACT OR LEAVE RESIDUE LIKE PAINT. MORE LIKE POWDER COATING OR ANODE TREATMENT  IMG_20180607_194640.thumb.jpg.4eced17c588a81bfb3025e8364ffc8a7.jpgIMG_20180607_202907.thumb.jpg.d79d176c407c0771946e75f808ca93d4.jpg 

Was the residue a whitish color?  What I see is a badly damaged copper plated cent where breaks in the plating probably allowed the zinc to oxidize and which has now been cleaned away.

3 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Was the residue a whitish color?  What I see is a badly damaged copper plated cent where breaks in the plating probably allowed the zinc to oxidize and which has now been cleaned away.

I’m with Condor101, and ditto for his thoughts on your so-called broadstruck dimes.

I am in the "oxidized zinc" camp as well.

And, your dimes could not have been broadstruck. A broadstrike is a coin that has been struck outside the collar. The collar is what applies the reeding to the circumference. Your dimes have reeding, therefore your dimes were struck inside the collar.

6 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

I’m with Condor101, and ditto for his thoughts on your so-called broadstruck dimes.

It's was like powdered patina. Not Wet or had any odor that I could tell. I think something I handled started a reaction...there were lot of them.i may contact the treasure dept. Send them a few. It reminded me of model paint.

6 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

It's was like powdered patina. Not Wet or had any odor that I could tell. I think something I handled started a reaction...there were lot of them.i may contact the treasure dept. Send them a few. It reminded me of model paint.

14 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I am in the "oxidized zinc" camp as well.

And, your dimes could not have been broadstruck. A broadstrike is a coin that has been struck outside the collar. The collar is what applies the reeding to the circumference. Your dimes have reeding, therefore your dimes were struck inside the collar.

Thank you all for your input. I did some cursory surface exams on a few random coins. Turns out that the rolls had pennies with some type of oil or grease(possibly organic)that contaminated the batch of coins I was handling.story short, I quarantined my collection and am going to clean up."Catch you later 👉"

If these were rolled together I would say they are fountain coins or otherwise have been submerged. First picture obviously parking lot coin.

27 minutes ago, numisport said:

If these were rolled together I would say they are fountain coins or otherwise have been submerged. First picture obviously parking lot coin.

I'm thinking these rolls may have come from the flood ravaged area in and around Houston during hurricane Harvey.