• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1986-D DDO LINCOLN MEMORIAL PENNY
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Although it appears quite impressive, it looks like machine damage doubling to me. A clearer picture might suggest otherwise, but my money is on it not being a doubled die.

Edited by Just Bob

3 hours ago, Rikki said:

Wow, I almost missed two of these!!! That's up there with 55 and 72.

IMG_20180602_173259-ccfopt.jpg

It sucks, huh, Rikki? I've stopped getting excited about what I think I find. That way the let down can be swallowed more gracefully.

On 6/2/2018 at 10:28 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

It sucks, huh, Rikki? I've stopped getting excited abo<ut what I think I find. That way the let down can be swallowed more gracefully.

Unless they state that they are expert graders, then optimism will go a long way in this crowd..Even the experts or anyone else is not  above the facts. I will just send in one of my 1986d coins and "optimistically hope that we CO-discovered a cool variety/error.

Edited by Rikki
Missed word "not"

1 minute ago, Rikki said:

Unless they state that they are expert graders, then optimism will go a long way in this crowd..Even the experts or anyone else is not  above the facts. I will just send in one of my 1986d coins and "optimistically hope that we CO-discovered a cool variety/error.

Oh, Idh anything in it. If you have it like that send it in, and let us know what they say. I have a quarter that I was positive was a Doubled Die...but alas they all said MD instead. Nice quarter too and the doubling was very neat and bold like your penny. I kept it anyway, just because I like it.

And honestly, I THINK I'm looking at 3- 1970 D Small Dates in front of me but figure they'll all say I'm trippin and all 3 are large so I'm not even going to post them anwhere and ask. I have never found anything good. Ever.

,,,but there are some 'experts' here....you need to listen and learn and it will save you those grading fees that don't work out so well.

With good images, 1970-D small dates are pretty easy to ascertain when you know the PUP (Pick Up Points)

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's a common effect seen on any plated coin. The brass layer can be drawn toward the edge, creating a shadow effect that may look like doubling. It's very often seen on our current brass-plated zinc cents and also on the 1943 zinc-plated steel cents. NGC receives many of the latter for Variety/Error attribution as either repunched mintmarks or doubled dies, but they are neither.

3 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

,,,but there are some 'experts' here....you need to listen and learn and it will save you those grading fees that don't work out so well.

With good images, 1970-D small dates are pretty easy to ascertain when you know the PUP (Pick Up Points)

So are you saying there is such a thing as a small date 70D? I felt foolish mentioning it because after I did all I could find info on was a 1970 S. I mean it's not like I have the cash lying around to have anything graded anyway so they woukd just get put into those little holders until I struck it rich some other way. I do take some goid pictures and totally will once I drop these kids off today, because I have  1 that is in great shape.

If you 'think' you have a small date Denver minted coin, it would be easy to determine, after all, how do you think the 70 Philly & Frisco small dates were found? But, and that's a big but, after 48 years I'm certain they would have been found already, but stranger things have happened like the 1919 doubled die dime that was just recently discovered.

Edited by WoodenJefferson

8 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

If you 'think' you have a small date Denver minted coin, it would be easy to determine, after all, how do you think the 70 Philly & Frisco small dates were found? But, and that's a big but, after 48 years I'm certain they would have been found already, but stranger things have happened like the 1919 doubled die dime that was just recently discovered.

You know what WJ? I used a pc of tape and I suppose the 7's are just the teensiest bit lower than the other 3 digits, although VERY close, but a cent coin isn't gigantic so a teensy bit can be substantial. I appreciate your reference to the 1919 Dime. Casman also referenced it a while back and today you have reinvigorated my search for the unknown error as he did then. You see, while I've only been looking at coins for a few months, I have yet to come across a single error. Not one. Even when I thought I had they turned out to be different varieties. While everyone around me is posting, posting, posting all their wonderful coins,  I have squat. But Cas also said that I have an great eye, so between the 2 of you you've convinced me to stick around for a bit longer. So I shall continue to ruin my sight and read, read, read and study some more and my first valuable coin is gonna be a doozy.

9 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

You see, while I've only been looking at coins for a few months, I have yet to come across a single error. Not one. Even when I thought I had they turned out to be different varieties. While everyone around me is posting, posting, posting all their wonderful coins,  I have squat.

Not true.

Well, maybe.

Mr Lange posted this about your '43 Lincoln:

"The raised line on the reverse of your cent is a die-clash impression. The outline of Lincoln's profile was transferred to the reverse die when the two dies came together without a planchet between them."

While some classify a clashed die as a variety, Fred Weinberg considered them errors in his Error Coin Encyclopedia. In 2010, he had this to say:

"Of course Die Clashes are errors;

We've had this discussion a million times
before.

The term "error coin" can, and has, cover
both mechanical errors and die varieties.

Then,more recently, the term is broken down to:

Mechanical Errors - double strikes, off centers,
off metals, clips, clad layer
missing, and yes, die clashes

Die Varieties - VAMS, RPMs, Doubled Dies, etc.

Die Clashes are the result of a Mechanical Error -
there was a mis-feed of the planchets being fed
into the striking chamber and collar; the dies clashed
together due to than mechanical failure; the coins
struck from those dies are the result of this mechanical
error malfunction.

Yes, die clashes are on the dies - but what caused that
to occur? A Mechanical Error/Malfunction.

That's just my opinion, of course"

PCGS has labeled Franklin Half dollars with the "Bugs Bunny" die clash as errors.

Lincolncentsonline calls them errors.

The article differentiating between variety and error on our hosts' site, HERE,

does not specifically mention die clashes, but does reference die errors.

Error-ref lists die clashes under die errors.

It maybe said, however,  that a die error is just that: an error on the die, and that coins struck from that die are considered varieties.

So, you see, there are differences of opinion, even among experts,(and so-called experts), as to what your coin is - error or variety. I am not posting this to cause confusion, but to encourage you and to let you know that you have indeed found something of interest, and you shouldn't give up. I have never found a die clash in circulation, and I'm sure many other members here would say the same.

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Not true.

Well, maybe.

Mr Lange posted this about your '43 Lincoln:

"The raised line on the reverse of your cent is a die-clash impression. The outline of Lincoln's profile was transferred to the reverse die when the two dies came together without a planchet between them."

While some classify a clashed die as a variety, Fred Weinberg considered them errors in his Error Coin Encyclopedia. In 2010, he had this to say:

"Of course Die Clashes are errors;

We've had this discussion a million times
before.

The term "error coin" can, and has, cover
both mechanical errors and die varieties.

Then,more recently, the term is broken down to:

Mechanical Errors - double strikes, off centers,
off metals, clips, clad layer
missing, and yes, die clashes

Die Varieties - VAMS, RPMs, Doubled Dies, etc.

Die Clashes are the result of a Mechanical Error -
there was a mis-feed of the planchets being fed
into the striking chamber and collar; the dies clashed
together due to than mechanical failure; the coins
struck from those dies are the result of this mechanical
error malfunction.

Yes, die clashes are on the dies - but what caused that
to occur? A Mechanical Error/Malfunction.

That's just my opinion, of course"

PCGS has labeled Franklin Half dollars with the "Bugs Bunny" die clash as errors.

Lincolncentsonline calls them errors.

The article differentiating between variety and error on our hosts' site, HERE,

does not specifically mention die clashes, but does reference die errors.

Error-ref lists die clashes under die errors.

It maybe said, however,  that a die error is just that: an error on the die, and that coins struck from that die are considered varieties.

So, you see, there are differences of opinion, even among experts,(and so-called experts), as to what your coin is - error or variety. I am not posting this to cause confusion, but to encourage you and to let you know that you have indeed found something of interest, and you shouldn't give up. I have never found a die clash in circulation, and I'm sure many other members here would say the same.

Thank you Bob. I just love you guys and your ability to pick me up.

3 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Thank you Bob. I just love you guys and your ability to pick me up.

Looks like Bob has some chops on the subject of errors and variations. Thanks for your insight into the matter. I love a good metaphysical argument but logic is what prevails.So,only time,testing and Sir Isaac's Newton 1st. Law will produce the answers to this topic

It amazes me. Nothing pisses me off like bad information. Hmmmm....let me quote correctly here.....ahh yes...our "current" brass plated zinc? Pardon moi? Brass....is copper alloyed with Tin....creating a less malleable and "stronger" metal. Here let me grab the red book as the composition of our Wheats, memorials, and Shields have changed composition a few times. Here's the rundown......1909-1942 ( .950 copper, .050 tin and zinc) this version did have a more yellow appearance because of the tin......1943 ( zinc-coated steel) ....1944 - 1946 ( .950 copper, .050 zinc) cartridge cases were salvaged for the above mentioned time period 1947 - 1958 (.950 copper, .050 tin and zinc) .... 1959 - 1962 ( .950 copper, .050 tin and zinc) here's where they pull the tin....eliminating "brass" 1962-1982 (.950 copper, .050 zinc) then we arrive after several varieties of the 82 lol...my personal fav....to copper plated zinc. From 83 on up to 2009 when they did the bicentennial for good ol Abe....( Read the red book for the different stuff going on there lol....and then the Shields are also copper plated zinc....both eras having the same percentages in the core ( .992 zinc, .008 copper with a plating of pure copper. K so ummmmm....yeah...like what's so modern about brass? Shut it!!!! People are trying to learn here! Karen...please remember....not everyone wants you to find something that might make their coin a little less rare. Lol....on with the hunt I say .... On with the hunt!!!! Oh yeah...everyone said I was nuts....said it wasn't what I thought it was... This pic is .. most definitely....a silver clad 1776-1976 bicentennial quarter. I listened to everyone else and believed against my instincts only to find out later....I was indeed correct. Of course now....I don't need a grading company to tell me this...which I am very appreciative of. Muah !!!!

20190811_114002~2.jpg

2 hours ago, Shawn Shields said:

Brass....is copper alloyed with Tin....

This is incorrect, according to Miriam-Webster, Encyclopedia Britannica, and every other source I checked. Copper/tin alloy is called bronze.

Brass is, according to Webster, " : an alloy consisting essentially of copper and zinc in variable proportions." You even alluded to this your self with the following statement:

2 hours ago, Shawn Shields said:

1944 - 1946 ( .950 copper, .050 zinc) cartridge cases were salvaged for the above mentioned time period

Those shell cases were made of brass.

Edited by Just Bob

Well well I thought I would just chimed in real quick look what I found today yes it weighs 3.0 grams and it rings like a copper penny would 😁. Always do a small drop test on my coins and when I heard that distinct ring I went straight to the scale. 1986 D Copper penny! I will post results from PCGS after it is sent inn.

IMG_20191219_163601493~2.jpg

IMG_20191219_163617924~2.jpg

Welcome to the boards, it is generally better to start your own thread rather than bring up an old one as its easy for the members to dismiss your reply as we have seen the thread before.  Your photo is interesting can you provide a clear in focus cropped image of the full obv and rev.