• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this ATB Mt. Rushmore Anything special?

19 posts in this topic

Got this ATB back with my change toned and still has the "pinwheel" as if uncleaned, however I was wondering if this is Just environmental and nothing at all, a silver clad or proof that was CIRCULATED  Appears uncleaned and undamaged

20180514_145025.jpg

20180514_153032.jpg

20180514_145235.jpg

Appears to be a heavily toned regular issue quarter.

As an aside: I am not thrilled with that design.I understand the desire to have a different perspective from the traditional head-on shot, but something about seeing that gigantic nose is a bit unnerving.  Especially on this particular coin. o.O

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

Appears to be a heavily toned regular issue quarter.

As an aside: I am not thrilled with that design.I understand the desire to have a different perspective from the traditional head-on shot, but something about seeing that gigantic nose is a bit unnerving.  Especially on this particular coin. o.O

Heh. Looks like Marmaduke made Mt. Rushmore, doesn't it? Or at least Richard Nixon.

7 hours ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Ok, so i have several coins like this, all state quarters, can it not be improperly annealed?

I'm a newbie and from what I learned from others that know more than I, I was told it left the MINT that way and is natural toning and not an error specifically on the coin I posted, however I do believe it is on a coin to coin basis and in some cases it is possible that it is improperly Anealed, lamination error, or wrong metal error! That is not the case with mine, but you have different coins and anything is possible, post a photo for others that know more and have a better trained eye than me would be my recommendation, as well as weighing the coin in grams so that the people who answer have a better idea, as much info as possible, as to be able to answer your questions more accurately. Also the better the photos you post as to clarity, close ups, OBVERSE, Reverse, and edges or "reeds" can really help Those who reply, I hope this helps to an extent, but please don't take my word for it, these are only tips to help you and others! Also although the experts and or very knowlegable people on here or anywhere for that matter, can only give there best opinion and assumption on the info they have been given, due to the fact they are not holding the coin, looking under there loup, glass, or weighing it. So unless it is submitted and sent into a reputable grader like NCG or similar company and they actually are able to physically scrutinize the coin, it is an educated assumption and opinion and not definitive, this is why I reccommend as much info and quality pics to help the ones who reply, Have a great day, hope this helps. Good luck, have a great day! Capone1929

6 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

I'm a newbie and from what I learned from others that know more than I, I was told it left the MINT that way and is natural toning and not an error specifically on the coin I posted, however I do believe it is on a coin to coin basis and in some cases it is possible that it is improperly Anealed, lamination error, or wrong metal error! That is not the case with mine, but you have different coins and anything is possible, post a photo for others that know more and have a better trained eye than me would be my recommendation, as well as weighing the coin in grams so that the people who answer have a better idea, as much info as possible, as to be able to answer your questions more accurately. Also the better the photos you post as to clarity, close ups, OBVERSE, Reverse, and edges or "reeds" can really help Those who reply, I hope this helps to an extent, but please don't take my word for it, these are only tips to help you and others! Also although the experts and or very knowlegable people on here or anywhere for that matter, can only give there best opinion and assumption on the info they have been given, due to the fact they are not holding the coin, looking under there loup, glass, or weighing it. So unless it is submitted and sent into a reputable grader like NCG or similar company and they actually are able to physically scrutinize the coin, it is an educated assumption and opinion and not definitive, this is why I reccommend as much info and quality pics to help the ones who reply, Have a great day, hope this helps. Good luck, have a great day! Capone1929

Yeah, thanks Dude. Everybody always says stuff like looks like it's been buried for years or environmentl! Environmental! I had to discover the annealed thing on my own and still don't quite get all the aspects of it, but ima continue to hold onto the odd balls I find, mostly because of the ones I see on ebay being called clad errors but obviously are not. I have long since stopped posting and asking about the odd ones.

35 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Yeah, thanks Dude. Everybody always says stuff like looks like it's been buried for years or environmentl! Environmental! I had to discover the annealed thing on my own and still don't quite get all the aspects of it, but ima continue to hold onto the odd balls I find, mostly because of the ones I see on ebay being called clad errors but obviously are not. I have long since stopped posting and asking about the odd ones.

Yeah me too I save them because, I have seen improperly Anealed that look like that and ones not as well so I keep them just incase. Also I think they look neat, like the tone of them and uniqueness, You could absolutely have a GENUINE error! Thank you for the reply, Capone1929

3 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

Yeah me too I save them because, I have seen improperly Anealed that look like that and ones not as well so I keep them just incase. Also I think they look neat, like the tone of them and uniqueness, You could absolutely have a GENUINE error! Thank you for the reply, Capone1929

Well, I've never seen one, but have read quite a lot and apparently the coins can be mny different colors and just look all kinds of crazy. I have a purple on one side and the rough grey on the other. I thought it was paint but it wouldn't come off and then I read that many times they can have what appear to be brush strokes and I knew I had one. Plus they said that it is becoming more common-although not common enough to make them common-if that makes sense. Lol! I guess the mint employees just aren't paying good attention maybe. Anyhow, thanks for talking to me and good luck on a great find.

Thank you! These aren't great pics, but here are a few little more modern coins, I have received and think they are pretty nice, most all still have ORIGINAL pinwheel effect, which is a clue that the chance of tamper do to chemical very slim Most have not been in circulation vary long and are circulated AU fine-Xfine, but thought I'd share some photos of ?? Not all have been posted here or ever, just 2 of them actually, was in other different coin listings! Hope you like, opinions welcome as Well! I have plenty more! Capone1929

20180517_221209.jpg

20180517_220705.jpg

20180517_221402.jpg

20180517_220959.jpg

That one homestead, is gold or brass toned and in MS circulated state, the other oregon with silver type toning, others are just real nice but crazy finishes or defects, I'm not sure if some are errors or not. I do know now some are naturally toned like that,  and that it is a reaction of the "frosty" first layer of the coin and once in circulation, they react and others, just simply react different?? I have quite a few more simular coins as well,  but cool coins in any case, all coins are cool! Thanks for your replys, Capone1929

20180517_221304.jpg

I know the frosty layer is the coins natural defence from the environment elements, like a living thing, sort of and causes the "pinwheel" effect in uncleaned coins and most likely coins not exposed to harsh chemicals. Those are a couple tale tale signs, I think, of laminate type errors. The natural defences of coins and or reactions of the coins to the environment "hence enviro" but environmental can be a physical and or a natural reaction of the coins outer protective layer. Weight is another tale tale sign or clue I believe of wrong metal or planchet errors as well. Not an Expert👇 but, Hope this helps, Capone1929

This is not always the case Im sure, but don't cant say for certain, there are always exceptions as well, I'm guessing, but with clues an educated guess, assumpption, and or opinion can be made, but without being submitted to metalergy tests or experts ☝who know for sure or more than I,  its a lot of homework, that I enjoy, however there are experts ☝ to name one, and those services are available for anyone who chooses to do so, Right here, but that comes with a price, as we all know. The help I have received here, I believe and have no reason not to absolutely trust the advice I have received from them All 100%, because it's just that, "its best advise", Im Just saying I do, but not everyone agrees especially when it comes to the numismic hobby, lol, have a great one, have fun, and good luck to you as well, Capone1929

Dude! These could be duplicates of the ones I have, although I don't have as many. I have posted a few of mine in other chat rooms and have seen other people post some too and always get the environmental answer. I just don't agree with it, maybe because usually whoever is saying it is kind od snide about it. I totally get that some things are considered errors and some aren't and the weight issue with the missing clad, and it's fine id a brown coin isn't missing clad but that doesn't mean it's not an improper..,I'll call it IAC. Lol! Plus I see coims like this on ebay labeled missing clad when they aren't, but apparently people buy them as such. So it just doesn't make sense to me that they'd be enviro damage. Ima look and see if I can find some of mine real quick. Although the taking of photos takes me forever so it'll probably be tomorrow. The ones that really get me are the rusted looking ones, like dimes. Even the edges are solid color. Idk? Like I said, I'm going to hold onto them regardless. 

That's a nice BC cent you have. You are lucky if you're as new as you say because I have looked at 1000 coins and have yet to see an actual major error like that.