• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 proof lincoln

17 posts in this topic

I hope an expert can clear something up for me.  According to Seymour Wampum's publication, there were 3 proof 1917 Lincoln cents, as well as 5c, 10c, 25c, and 50c struck in proof dated 1917.  Have such claims been disproven?  Thanks.  Here is a photo of what is claimed to be a 1917 proof Lincoln with a COA by Breen.

1917_proof.jpg

None have been attributed as such by a major grading company. And, while you can't really disprove a negative (such as that there aren't any), their existence hasn't been proven. I doubt that will change. 

25 minutes ago, jimbucks said:

What grading service is TNNC? I get the feeling that Mr. Wampum and Biddles Bank know one another.

5 minutes ago, WoodenJefferson said:

What grading service is TNNC? I get the feeling that Mr. Wampum and Biddles Bank know one another.

Let me google that for you.  TNNC likely=(The) National Numismatic Collection.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/subjects/coins-currency-and-medals

19 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

What grading service is TNNC?

Not a grading service, TNNC = The National Numismatic Collection i.e. The Smithsonian Collection.

On 5/14/2018 at 3:31 PM, MarkFeld said:

None have been attributed as such by a major grading company. And, while you can't really disprove a negative (such as that there aren't any), their existence hasn't been proven. I doubt that will change. 

I believe we had this discussion, in 2014 and 2015.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I believe we had this discussion, in 2014 and 2015.

John, I don't doubt it. And we will probably have it again :wink:.  Either way, I'd be shocked but elated if a convincing Proof turned up.

Has anyone from the grading services examined the so-called proof at the Smithsonian, and if not, why not?

17 hours ago, jimbucks said:

Has anyone from the grading services examined the so-called proof at the Smithsonian, and if not, why not?

IIRC, a few board members from ATS visited and viewed this piece, among others, CA. 2010/11. There was no consensus at all that it was a Proof.

There are no "proof" 1917 US coins in the Smithsonian or anywhere else. I've examined the SI coins.

Hard to imagine that any 17's will be fully accepted absent positive contemporary documentation. Whoever decided on the matte proof concept back in the day certainly created a lot of mischief, and a bit of fun.