• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bummed Collector

66 posts in this topic

On Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 3:58 PM, FairTradeAct_1935 said:

NOTE: I would like to take this opportunity to state that my intentions were not to mess on those sellers mentioned earlier... Again please don't judge them off of my experience. 

I'm judging them nine ways from Sunday.  They should not have sold damaged coins without full disclosure.

I hope someone who also posts ATS has posted these guys' names over there,  or at least posted a link to  this thread. 

1 hour ago, BillJones said:

If one becomes a serious collector, he or she will not be happy with that 1858 cent once they learn what is good and what isn't. You could buy a complete set of Chinese counterfeit Seated Dollars in a counterfeit Dansco holder. That might look nice to some people, but in the end, you have a book full of base metal disks. You need to learn what is good and what isn't. After that if you want to buy problems then have it. It's better to know the reality of the situation.

I'm with "Bill" on this one. I'll use myself as the obvious example. I purchase those coins thinking I am getting a decent deal ( not knowing what a Whizzed coin is) and the coins IMO look beautiful. Until I seen "Bills" examples and the gorgeous satin finish. Thus as NGC and with the help of the forum community educated me and made me a better and more diligent collector. Again coin collecting is in the eye of the beholder and what ever fancy's that individual. This is a AWESOME COMMUNITY AND GREAT KNOWLEDGE BASE!!

6 hours ago, Bobsr said:

Ok FairTradeAct_1935. 

!st Why did you buy the coins? Because you liked them ! Buy the coin Not the Slab. Those are very good looking coins. Yes, you may have paid too much for the grade but you didn't pay too much for the coin or you wouldn't have purchased them in the 1st place. Be happy with the coin. You didn't buy them for an investment, you bought them because you liked them. That is what collecting is all about. Not saying its right or giving credibility to unscrupulous dealers, just saying sometimes as collectors we get less than what we paid for but the joy is in collecting. If you're going to collect for investment then you should only buy from local dealers you have developed a relationship with or buy certified coins from reputable TPG's. I have bought numerous coins from people here on the board and not once have I been disappointed. I don't buy anything from online sources I know nothing about, period. No matter how cheap or how good the deal is. Just sayin.

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

Good advice and direction. I agree with what you stated and very knowledgeable post..Thanks again

6 hours ago, Bobsr said:

Ok FairTradeAct_1935. 

!st Why did you buy the coins? Because you liked them ! Buy the coin Not the Slab. Those are very good looking coins. Yes, you may have paid too much for the grade but you didn't pay too much for the coin or you wouldn't have purchased them in the 1st place. Be happy with the coin. You didn't buy them for an investment, you bought them because you liked them. That is what collecting is all about. Not saying its right or giving credibility to unscrupulous dealers, just saying sometimes as collectors we get less than what we paid for but the joy is in collecting. If you're going to collect for investment then you should only buy from local dealers you have developed a relationship with or buy certified coins from reputable TPG's. I have bought numerous coins from people here on the board and not once have I been disappointed. I don't buy anything from online sources I know nothing about, period. No matter how cheap or how good the deal is. Just sayin.

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

Sorry, but I disagree strongly with part of the above: “Yes, you may have paid too much for the grade but you didn't pay too much for the coin or you wouldn't have purchased them in the 1st place. Be happy with the coin. You didn't buy them for an investment, you bought them because you liked them.”

Just because someone “purchased them in the first place” and “bought them because you liked them” doesn’t mean that they “didn’t pay too much for the coin”. There are far too many purchases made under the above circumstances, in which buyers have paid far too much.

Hi MarkFeld

I guess I didn't express myself well in trying to keep it short. Yes the price paid for that coin was too much for it to be an altered coin and it is absolutely Bad morals for the dealer to not disclose the state of the coin when sold ( if he was a DEALER, He knew). When I search out a coin, I don't look for the grade or marketability. I look thru thousands of coins to make a decision. I then decide on the one I want. I don't initially inquire about price. It doesn't matter if its too much or not. THATS the coin I want for my collection. I recently bought an 1837 Capped Bust half, asking price was almost double the price guide not even close to CDN and It had obviously been lightly cleaned in its past. Didn't matter, I wanted that coin, it had a really beautiful Bulls-eye toning from outside violet to red to orange to green. I was trying to express to the OP that the focus should be as collectors to buy what we like not what the TPG's opinion is, and to be happy with his purchase and not disappointed enough to quit collecting. Personally, I have found so many fake/cleaned/whizzed coins on The Bay That I don't even go there anymore, and encourage him to focus on sites like this one that exhibits a high degree of reliability and integrity from real professional dealers.

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

27 minutes ago, Bobsr said:

Hi MarkFeld

I guess I didn't express myself well in trying to keep it short. Yes the price paid for that coin was too much for it to be an altered coin and it is absolutely Bad morals for the dealer to not disclose the state of the coin when sold ( if he was a DEALER, He knew). When I search out a coin, I don't look for the grade or marketability. I look thru thousands of coins to make a decision. I then decide on the one I want. I don't initially inquire about price. It doesn't matter if its too much or not. THATS the coin I want for my collection. I recently bought an 1837 Capped Bust half, asking price was almost double the price guide not even close to CDN and It had obviously been lightly cleaned in its past. Didn't matter, I wanted that coin, it had a really beautiful Bulls-eye toning from outside violet to red to orange to green. I was trying to express to the OP that the focus should be as collectors to buy what we like not what the TPG's opinion is, and to be happy with his purchase and not disappointed enough to quit collecting. Personally, I have found so many fake/cleaned/whizzed coins on The Bay That I don't even go there anymore, and encourage him to focus on sites like this one that exhibits a high degree of reliability and integrity from real professional dealers.

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

Bobsr, thanks for the clarification.