• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint-issued PF silver eagle grades

7 posts in this topic

I typically purchase PF silver eagles directly from the mint and wonder what is the likelihood of receiving a PF 70 coin? Are PF coins sold in the market in the original mint-issued box and COA "cherry picked" so that it is unlikely one would receive a coin that could be graded PF 70 if submitted to a third-party grading service? Essentially, is it wiser to purchase directly from the mint and take a chance of receiving a higher graded coin?

You would probably spend a whole lot more money trying to buy eagles from the mint and submitting them with grading fees then you would just buying one already slabbed and graded. 

On April 25, 2018 at 7:08 PM, bsshog40 said:

You would probably spend a whole lot more money trying to buy eagles from the mint and submitting them with grading fees then you would just buying one already slabbed and graded. 

On April 25, 2018 at 7:08 PM, bsshog40 said:

Thank you for your timely response. This makes sense assuming the mint-issued coin grades out to be a PF 69 however, given the market price for a PF 70 grade, that would not be the case. Of course, one rolls the dice when submitting mint-issued coins for grading.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:08 PM, bsshog40 said:

I would say this depends on the year of the coin.  

12 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

I would say this depends on the year of the coin.  

Agree, but the OP has already stated that he would be buying them directly from the mint. That takes away all the key dates, let alone pretty much anything before 2015. 

But apparently he has already been purchasing them from the Mint in the past.  ("I typically purchase PF silver eagles directly from the mint")  He is wondering on the likelihood of getting PF-70's if he submits them.