• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carson City Morgan Dollars

7 posts in this topic

I have two Carson City Morgan silver dollars that I want to get graded. They are in cases that were that were released in 1972 and are labeled Carson City Uncirculated Silver Dollar.  How would fill out the order form for these? Which Tier should I select. Any and all info will be appreciated. Sorry, this is my first experience with coin grading. Thanks in advance.

Tier is going to be based on the value of the coin and how quickly you want it back.  You will probably want to indicate that you want the coins to remain in the original holders, collectors seem to like the GSA dollars better that way.  If your coin is worth under $300 economy would probably be best, over that you want Standard.  A word of warning, now is probably NOT a good time to be submitting them.  Within the next week or so the TPG's are going to be flooded with hundreds or even thousands of green monster boxes of 2018 silver eagles and submissions from the FUN show.  It will take much longer than their turnaround estimates to get your coins back  Wait til mid Feb or March. (Submit now and you might not get them back by then anyway.)  They've waited 45 years without being slabbed, they can wait a few months longer.

If yours are typical they would be '82,'83'or 84-CC dates and would likely not benefit from grading. There is little difference in prices between MS 60 and MS 63 so really I think they are fine the way they are. If you ever want to sell them that would be the time to grade if they are worthy of MS 65 or better. Because these coins were moved around, counted and shuffled about for decades most are bag marked and scratched enough to grade higher than MS 62. Post some pictures if you can.

On 12/31/2017 at 12:08 PM, numisport said:

If yours are typical they would be '82,'83'or 84-CC dates and would likely not benefit from grading. There is little difference in prices between MS 60 and MS 63 so really I think they are fine the way they are. If you ever want to sell them that would be the time to grade if they are worthy of MS 65 or better. Because these coins were moved around, counted and shuffled about for decades most are bag marked and scratched enough to grade higher than MS 62. Post some pictures if you can.

IMG_20180109_163819192.jpg

IMG_20180109_163845090.jpg

IMG_20180109_163924942.jpg

My opinion for what it's worth is they are slightly above average 63-64 with the 82-CC the better of the two. These CCs are nice frosty examples of original bagged coins. I like them just like they are.