• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of my Favorite Large Cents

10 posts in this topic

That is an attractive coin, but it's not Mint State because there is no luster left on it. If you could form a set of these with a similar look for somewhat modest sums, it would be a nice collectors' item.

Here is a brown Uncircualted example to help you learn about Mint State surfaces.

1852 Cent whole.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The coin has a dull film on it that many old coppers get. There may be luster underneath, and it seems like a good candidate for conservation.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, dleonard-3 said:

I really like the solid strike and even light brown color on this one.

1852 AU-OBV.jpg

1852 AU-REV.jpg

Ignore the naysayers dleanord, I really like the looks of your coin.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:06 PM, Raybo55 said:

Ignore the naysayers dleanord, I really like the looks of your coin.

No "naysayers", just opinions.  I agree with all of these opinions too.  It really doesn't have any luster left.  Just an old coin with lots of detail, but not Uncirculated.  I'm sure it's been handled, stored, and admired quite a bit throughout its life, and it seems to have a lot of life left.

I have an 1899 Can New Foundland 50 cent that was dull and dirty. I really like the design and looks of the coin so I submitted it to NCS for conservation and on to NGC for grading. It came back with a lot more luster than when it went in. The coin "eye appeal" went up several grades and the coin got an overall AU58. According to the census, this is the highest grade for that year coin with none better. I am extremely happy with the results. That is a really beautiful large cent. Its worth the few dollars to protect that coin but in the end, It is your coin and only you can determine what you want to do with it.

Bob Sr. CEO Fieldtechs