• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with Counterfeit

7 posts in this topic

I bought the coin shown below, which I am certain is a counterfeit. EBay has asked me to contact PCGS to authenticate my claim. Can any one give me some input as to how should I proceed further. Any input on this is absolutely welcome.

IMG_20171123_130519.jpg

I'd assume you contact PCGS, providing all the identifying information, and ask them how to proceed.

What makes you certain it's counterfeit? I ask because if you're going to present that as a conclusion, you'll need to be able to say why. I assume it at least passes the magnet test that so many early Republic/late Imperial 'silver' coins fail?

18 minutes ago, JKK said:

I'd assume you contact PCGS, providing all the identifying information, and ask them how to proceed.

What makes you certain it's counterfeit? I ask because if you're going to present that as a conclusion, you'll need to be able to say why. I assume it at least passes the magnet test that so many early Republic/late Imperial 'silver' coins fail?

I am assuming you are not aware of the three numbers above the Bar Code on PCGS Slabs or heard of Fake PCGS Slabs....but let me point you to this auction of the actual coin.

On 11/23/2017 at 4:41 PM, joydeep said:

I am assuming you are not aware of the three numbers above the Bar Code on PCGS Slabs or heard of Fake PCGS Slabs....but let me point you to this auction of the actual coin.

The auction lot you link to is a different coin. Serial number is not the same.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

The auction lot you link to is a different coin. Serial number is not the same.

What do you mean ? Are you aware of what the three numbers above the bar code mean ? Or, are you trying to bolster my previous argument ?

[The Actual followed by the Fake that I bought]

1.jpeg

IMG_20171123_130519.jpg

Weird that they'd get everything else right but mess up the ID number like that. Or is that their out to say "look, it is clearly a different thing, we didn't counterfeit it!"

I wonder. 

As far as the coin goes, is it a counterfeit also? I'm not familiar with these, but if it is a counterfeit it looks like a pretty good one. 

Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? If so, you should have no problem getting a refund. 

I would contact PCGS customer service, and explain the situation. It is in their interest to combat counterfeits, so they'll help you out. 

I noticed a lot of things wrong with the item:-

(i). The actual item has three wide prongs supporting the coin whereas the fake has no such thing. This was the first thing that gave it away.

(ii). The second number after the period above the bar code is re-iteration of the grade. It is correct for the actual, but 62 for the fake.

(iii). The bar codes do not match. Using the PCGS  app while scanning the bar code leads me to a separate coin.

(iv). After I received the coin, I noticed that the PCGS secure shield logo is absolutely off i.e. not even close to the real.

The dealer has got other negative feedback from others as well regarding counterfeits.