• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US $50 US Assay Office - Imitation

4 posts in this topic

I inherited a coin collection from my dad and he has a 1850 $50 US Assay Office Slug - says imitation.

Someone told me that there is a market for these and some collectors do collect them?

There is a market for them, although it's rather thin. They can't be sold on ebay.

They can be found in souvenir shops and at gift shops at museums and such. No doubt, it's the only way most of us could afford an example of such a thing.

It is almost certainly a non-gold imitation. If you will post photos of both sides, members can probably confirm that.

There are some of these items that were issued in conjunction with Pan-American Exposition in 1915. They are listed as "So-Called Dollars," and some of them do have some value. It's nothing like the real thing in solid gold, but it might be enough to pay for nice restaurant meal.

Pictures would be a big help here.