• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Signs Charlie Duke, Astronaut Who Walked on Moon, to Autograph Labels

4 posts in this topic

Not my cup of tea, as I always thought TPG signature slabs were gimmicky, but NGC has signed Charlie Duke to start autographing labels.  At least Charlie is a true historical person, not only as the 10th man on the Moon, but whenever you hear a replay of Apollo 11's Moon landing, the CapCom (the person talking from Mission Control, e.g. Houston) was Charlie.  

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6014/charlie-duke-astronaut-signature/

FWIW, Charlie is a very nice guy with some fun stories.  I've met him multiple times and worked with him for a day last year at a space event.  

SyCharlie3cr.jpeg

As a collector these signed slabs are garbage to me personally, but in looking at the big picture if these gimmicks bring some exposure to people that are currently not into coin collecting perhaps down the road it may be of benefit to the hobby.

No disrespect to Charlie Duke at all, but this is just more gimmicky garbage from what appears to be a more-desperate-than-ever TPG.  Are we even grading coins anymore?!  Or are we collecting autographs?  All I see on the News page is who the latest slab signer is -- Geesh!   Why should I send my coins to a TPG that appears to only be worried about who their next celebrity signer is.  THEIR PRIORITIES ARE OBVIOUS -- $$$ -- not the integrity of grading and authenticating coins.  IMO, staying on this low road will just result in the loss of even more market share to ATS and the slow degradation of the character of their brand.  Worst of all it means the value of my NGC coins are going down.  :facepalm: