• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1899 Liberty Head 10$

11 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, kmag said:

Probably wrong but I not sure if that strait grades.....Id go unc details

What are you seeing that warrants a details grade? 

Grading this coin gets into the argument as to when a lot of small marks take the piece from low end Mint State to AU. If the cartwheel luster is not broken when you swirl the piece under a ligh, it's an MS-60. If there are dead spots in the luster, especially in front of Ms. Liberty's face, it's down to AU-55. Why isn't it an AU-58? There are pieces with a slight rub on the higher points which have smoother surfaces.

This also gets into the argument, "When is an AU-58 worth a price equal to or greater than an MS-60 based upon eye appeal?" I have often paid MS-60 money or more for AU-58 coins simply because the AU-58 is more attractive.

18 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

What are you seeing that warrants a details grade? 

All the fine scratches in the fields and on the devices.....I know its gold, so are they more tolerant with gold versus say silver?...Maybe its the magnification.(shrug)  Just looks overly beat up to me with little to no circulation rubs at the high points. I would expect to see greater wear at the high points with the surfaces of the coin that beat up. 

5 hours ago, kmag said:

All the fine scratches in the fields and on the devices.....I know its gold, so are they more tolerant with gold versus say silver?...Maybe its the magnification.(shrug)  Just looks overly beat up to me with little to no circulation rubs at the high points. I would expect to see greater wear at the high points with the surfaces of the coin that beat up. 

A large number of scrapes, marks, etc can occur while a coin is in storage. Think about a soft gold coin in a canvas bag with a whole bunch of other coins. It has no wear - nobody's ever touched it, but it gets all dinged up anyways. That's what has happened to this coin. There is no wear, but a bunch of marks. 

These marks are not nearly bad enough to cause a details grade, I don't think. 

So the OP knows,  I would weight  Jason's opinion more heavily over my opinion.  The first book on grading I read was Jason's.  However I really do not like the coin......No disrespect to the OP