• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old mint sets

9 posts in this topic

I recently purchased complete run of early mint sets (1947-1958) , i love these sets , just beautiful coins all in there original holders . The reason why i started looking at these , as the prices have come down some 20% . They are a great part of our history , always good to be able to look at these and wonder what was going on in the world when they came out on the market .

These sets have created value through the years that exceeds the values of the original coins for 2 reasons. They can develop beautiful color and usually the underlying coin is high grade. I strongly recommend that the coins be very carefully removed from their cardboards (photo's ahead of time will verify positioning) and they should be placed in inert holders that will arrest the toning process and allow for easy inspection of both sides of every coin. 

Obviously preserve the cardboards and envelopes. In this way the coins can be appreciated without damage to the coins or wear and tear to the paper envelopes and the risk of terminal toning (if it hasn't already occurred) is diminished.

A very high percentage of these sets have been messed with, mishandled, had coins switched or had coins all arranged neatly obverse up and vertically. It's my understanding that mint employees weren't that careful about it and there are purists out there who can tell when a single coin isn't original to the set.

You are correct. These are a neat and historical part of collecting and are great to see with the original coins intact. 

I have been collecting on and off for the last 45 years . I have always wanted to own the early mint sets from 1947 -1958 i have looked at a lot of sets either i could not afford them or they were just ugly . I found someone selling multiples of each year from 1947 into the 1970's , between 6-8 sets of each year . Also proof sets 1936 to early 1970's in original boxes and sleeves . I have had several conversations with this person just to see how much he really knows about what he has , found that he really does not know much . Seems that he buys storage lockers and he was interested in buying this locker for its contents (table and chairs) he got it for $300 , when he starts unloading the locker and going through things he finds 2 large plastic containers full of these sets .

When we met and i looked at the sets they were in very good condition and had been very well taken care of , they were sealed in a air tight containers and a controlled environment locker . I spent over an hour looking at these sets and checked everything on them , they were the best that i have ever seen . Also in this locker were rolls of Morgan dollars which he has been selling for $1400-$2300 . One of the 1936 proof sets was offered to me for $2000 , but did not buy it at the time , i had the exact amount of money with me for the mint sets , so will have to do some serious thinking about the proof sets .

For those of you that want me to post pictures , they are in a safety deposit box , besides i think everyone in here knows what a mint set looks like .

Here is an example of one of those mint sets. Yes, I know that there is a third holder in this set

Sorry I don't how to post pictures here any more. I dragged a picture the spot but all I get is big picture with no buttons to do anything. I guess the file is too big or somthing.

This is from Photobucket. The new software seems to be of little use.

1949%20Double%20Mint%20Set%20No%20Ad_zps