• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about 1997 botanic gardens

8 posts in this topic

Hi i have a 1997 p botanic gardens ms69 that im not sure if it is a proof or a ms prooflike.NGC graded it as a ms69 I was told it was a proof and NGC graded it wrong.does anyone know if the mint state coins were minted with a reflective field or did NGC grade this wrong?It looks like and unc to me but I can see my finger when i run it across the obverse of the coin.thank you for any help with this.

frank

Which coin, the dollar or the five cent?  The dollar comes both proof and Unc, the five cent was a special Matte finish and the TPG's have described the same coin as MS, Matte Proof, SP, and SMS.  I think the current terminology is SP (Specimen).

The Botanical Gardens silver dollar comes in both Proof and Mint State. 

The Mint State will appear flat and not mirror like. The proof will be mirror like in

the field and frosty on the devices. both are mint mark "P"

Both the MS (Mint State) and PR (Proof) have reflective fields to a certain extent on this issue, but there is no mistaking the mirrored fields of the proof coin with highly frosted devices. The proof coins were struck sparingly using specially prepared dies and polished planchets. Still, great care was taken in the striking of the Mint State commemoratives for collectors so many high quality examples exists. Even though mistakes can be made, it would not surprise me that you have the MS coin encapsulated and labeled correctly. Can you supply the board with perhaps a picture?

Note: with a proof coin of this era (1997) the reflection would be so defined, you would be able to see your actual finger print in the reflection of the mirrored proof fields. The coin you have is labeled correctly as MS

Definitely MS.  Most of your reflection is actually off the slab -- not the coin.  Even at a side glance you should have mirrors for fields, not white fields for PF.

DSC_0001.JPG