• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DPL or just polished ?

22 posts in this topic

Can you tell from these images if the coin on the left and 4th from the top is DPL or just polished?  Sorry, not even US coins.  Can you tell the differences from the images?

obv.jpg

rev.jpg

Determining if this coin is a natural proof-like and not a polished piece for sure is very hard given the tiny image and the fact that the camera took on a "general exposure" for a large number of coins. The best I can do is an educated guess, so here goes.

The coin appears to be a natural proof-like, but assuming that it is made of silver, it almost looks like the aluminum coins that I have seen with that luster. It's an odd looking piece if it is in fact a silver coin. Given that I'd only pay a bargain price if that is the only image you have available. If the seller wants a premium, he or she will have to provide better photos of this coin by itself.

BillJones

The coin is made of 90% silver and 10% copper.

The lot is  being auctioned now and the current price is at face value.

As you suggested, I won't bid strong anyway.

Zooming in, the devices do not appear to be polished, leading me to believe the fields are naturally mirrored. Question, where there any proof examples of this coin struck and sold to the public?

10 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

Zooming in, the devices do not appear to be polished, leading me to believe the fields are naturally mirrored. Question, where there any proof examples of this coin struck and sold to the public?

I don't think proofs are made for this series. But sometimes you find PL examples and I'm serching for them. I already have more than 200 of this series, but own only a few PL examples.

33 minutes ago, coinman_23885 said:

I agree with Bill.  I would need better images before paying a premium over problem coin value.

I don't know why, but most of the sellers in my country offers very poor images. Sometimes I get a happy surprise and in most cases, get dissapointments.

42 minutes ago, toyonakataro said:

I don't think proofs are made for this series. But sometimes you find PL examples and I'm serching for them. I already have more than 200 of this series, but own only a few PL examples.

What are these, and is there a reason you are hoarding them? 

9 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

What are these, and is there a reason you are hoarding them? 

They are 1964 Tokyo Olympic commemorative 1000 yen.  Although they are commemoratives, Japan Mint produced them as much as 10,000,000.

I don't know why, but I feel I'm obliged to assemble the rest 9,999,800

wouldn't be polished because frosted devices

I do not think PL or DMPL but rather lighting and reflection showing darkness in lower section of coin

if they are at melt, not great loss rolling dice to see

13 hours ago, e1cnr said:

wouldn't be polished because frosted devices

I do not think PL or DMPL but rather lighting and reflection showing darkness in lower section of coin

if they are at melt, not great loss rolling dice to see

Polish wouldn't necessarily affect the frosted devices (they would just have hairlines). 

And, since the lighting is the same across the entire picture, and this one stands out as reflective, I'd say there's a good chance that it is prooflike (or polished enough that it appears that way). There is clearly something different about that one, compared to the rest.  3rd row from top, 6 over, also appears to have some PL tendencies. 

The pictures are small, however I see 2 possibly 3 that seem to be strong candidates and have a DPL - PL look to them. the one you pointed out is the best from what the pictures are showing......Like another poster said, if there is not a huge premium over spot for those coins why not buy the lot if that is what you like collecting.....(thumbsu

The lot arrived today.

Of 38 coins, 5coins were cleaned ( not surprising )  4 had PL or semi PL surfaces, but one of them was cleaned.

I'll post 3 non-cleaned coins from the lot.  I wasn't able to capture the PL surfaces well, but they look either PL or semi-PL in hand.

I can't tell whitch coins correspond to the coins imaged by the seller, though.

olympic 01 combined.jpg

olympic 02 combined.jpg

olympic 03 combined.jpg

Yes, I'm pleased with the 3 above.  I was expecting more deeply mirrored surface on at least one of the batch, but maybe I was expecting too much.  Overall, I think I did ok.

After recieving those coins, I counted how much I actually own these Tokyo Olympic commemorative coins.

I knew I had more than 200 of them,  but in reality, I has as much as 482 of them.

I don't know where I'm going to......

19 hours ago, toyonakataro said:

Yes, I'm pleased with the 3 above.  I was expecting more deeply mirrored surface on at least one of the batch, but maybe I was expecting too much.  Overall, I think I did ok.

After recieving those coins, I counted how much I actually own these Tokyo Olympic commemorative coins.

I knew I had more than 200 of them,  but in reality, I has as much as 482 of them.

I don't know where I'm going to......

What is the total mintage? you could always corner the market and then dribble them out as a retirement plan.

The 3 posted look nice. Sometimes I wish I could take the obverse from one coin and match it with the reverse of another coin to make an even beter coin...

11 hours ago, e1cnr said:

What is the total mintage? you could always corner the market and then dribble them out as a retirement plan.

The 3 posted look nice. Sometimes I wish I could take the obverse from one coin and match it with the reverse of another coin to make an even beter coin...

Mintage is 15,000,000 ( I thought they minted 10,000,000 but I just looked up a book and realized they minted half again as much as I'd thought)

And than mean I own 0.003% of the total......long way to go