• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charmy's 2017 Orlando ANA National Money Show Report w/tons of Pics!

4 posts in this topic

The spring ANA show is usually about half to one-third the size of the summer ANA show, and accordingly less attended as well. However, this show was even slower than expected and I didn't find nearly the amount of quality material I usually do. Still, I was pretty busy most of Thursday and part of Friday, with very decent sales. Friday we had some excitement with a thief being caught red handed, and Saturday was the usual active family day but I didn't see a lot of business being conducted. (By the way, this particular show report ought to appease some of those nay sayers who feel my reports aren't coin-related enough!)

Since flying from coast to coast especially with the 3-hour time change is an all-day ordeal, I left beautiful sunny OC early on Tuesday morning. Whenever I have a 7am flight (no flights can leave out of the John Wayne Airport until after 7am due to noise abatement rules), the airport is usually packed. But this time, my flight wasn't until 8:30am and surprisingly, the airport was quite empty!

ardc0ffkpl7t.jpg

I boarded my flight, settled into my seat, and got my audio book cued up. Here I am very happy to be headed to another coin show!

77z2o9jvsk4x.jpg

The Southern California coast is stunningly beautiful!

pjnyr7qghlil.jpg

c49j29gb6efd.jpg

ze3p1y0urxjg.jpg

gj8zx9rv1o6w.jpg

Many hours later, hello Orlando!

58yw31bpxh24.jpg

After settling into our rental condo, we headed over to the convention center to drop our bags off with security. It was eerie to see the convention center so deserted!

sf3181tll46h.jpg

z0p8hy9gfu14.jpg

After breakfast the next morning we headed over to the convention center to view the auction lots. Wow, what a gorgeous day it was, sunny and warm, just like Southern California!

d8cqv2nsqdmp.jpg

urf2lofemwv1.jpg

5su0wy48bv19.jpg

8ljrpz7mzt4z.jpg

5wapqvq7irl0.jpg

The Rosen Plaza hotel, which was right across from the convention center, had discounted parking for coin show attendees so we parked there each morning.

xdkj2ad6mly6.jpg

This is the banner ad for the show that was on the bridge walkway between the Rosen Plaze and the convention center

rs7p3ud6bnwz.jpg

This is an interesting sculpture in the lobby of the convention center, it looks like a piece of coral.

wzxwm9fad546.jpg

When we arrived at the auction room, there were already several people viewing the lots. Nina, who is the auction coordinator for Kagin's, and Don's wife Candace, were very busy at work registering the dealers for live bidding.

62vcrrmpgotj.jpg

j2mglimuw39l.jpg

bnr51nv7znpa.jpg

0p0sby28di9o.jpg

There were some amazing coins in this auction, including several very cool Steve Brewer Flying Eagle patterns and all the Bechtler gold pieces! My favorite pieces were the double headed Flying Eagle pattern and the Bechtler gold piece that still had the cloth ribbon attached on a string.

095db7gachk3.jpg

zbbrgmnv18fz.jpg

h6b3hvy86kbi.jpg

beotfg614a64.jpg

ktggdt5qc6kn.jpg

rj3g7hykapie.jpg

yqgdt56f97ug.jpg

r6ki0b09aiq6.jpg

06bldotq2bt7.jpg

gwafww82fjbk.jpg

kkpy7weatdnr.jpg

sqch5zyc8wcb.jpg

kqb5xn9b9vf2.jpg

69pegx5kow58.jpg

d8obcbo4k9jw.jpg

6plggs4aywme.jpg

912xgua0ldk0.jpg

5u7csmzr15y6.jpg

edjcoawi5dra.jpg

925savf9t73n.jpg

After lot viewing, we waited out in the lobby with many other dealers for the show to open.

From left to right: John Agre/CRO, Roger (Todd/BluCC's dad), Todd, Larry Shapiro, and Rick Snow
ualugh7230uc.jpg

This gentleman, Gene Hynds, loves all types of coins and has given me several interesting penny exonumia over the years, including some of the sticker cents that were in my past exhibit. While I was waiting in line, Gene handed me this adorable tiny barrel of pennies he had saved for me! I believe it is from the 1960's.

xvf0whkccou9.jpg

gujjtntsz9qr.jpg

t56hls7ssmko.jpg

Soon it was time to be let in!

zex7klizgy54.jpg

Set up went quickly and I also bought several new Pretty Pennies, some of which I sold at the show.

02shm0xind8u.jpg

I was also very excited to find this very cool Indian cent error for my own collection!

rdvzvgvi6dua.jpg

a11ewlzwwant.jpg

After set up on Wednesday, we went to Maggianos for dinner. They have wonderful steak, seafood, and great pasta, as well as a fantastic wine selection.

07jv8ievshqx.jpg

0h04t6uzk7l4.jpg

They happened to have this wonderful Silver Oak on their wine list, and it actually was less expensive than what you could buy it for in the store! This is unheard of, especially for a wine of this caliber. So of course we had a bottle at dinner, and I decided to buy two more to take home with me.

li72b970mbk9.jpg

bhi0rtwp97go.jpg

After dinner, we walked over to the Blue Marlin for some drinks and great music.

u5765lj4lbyp.jpg

9wtlceqbobrr.jpg

y6b2uxqw6r2n.jpg

Down the street from the restaurant is this famous upside down house

a0o7rn2ywaxy.jpg

plv0bpdjk4ph.jpg

4n86pwvxqtsi.jpg

tws7mwz1vg5e.jpg

dcvalei0b6o9.jpg

The next day I had an early meeting of the ANA Dealer Relations Committee. The committee consists of several dealers from various types of businesses, including U.S., foreign, paper money, large business, small business, Heritage and Stacks, as well as ANA representatives. We discussed various ways to try and improve the ANA shows, especially the National Money Shows which seem to be declining in attendance.

ip4b0f8af47q.jpg

After the meeting, I headed into the show.

a2n30bvcb9xz.jpg

4hecg8bpd7v9.jpg

One of my favorite people (as evidenced by my lipstick on their cheeks) stopped by my table to say hi.

Charles "Wes" Parker

ydy3rs4b2kvl.jpg

One of the hardest working ANA folks around, Larry Gage!

90hgy1iv5cdp.jpg

In the afternoon, I opened this bottle of Cooper Zinfandel which I had brought from home. I shared it with some of my customers and dealer friends, so it didn't last long!

af7hrca21ub6.jpg

After the show, I headed over to the auction. They had a really nice spread of food.

1wmex020ohaf.jpg

It was great to see a full room, which I haven't seen in a live auction in quite a while.

x3bozczbhmof.jpg

loburb2axaja.jpg

Don Kagin thanked everyone for working so hard to put on the auction, including his family and staff.

dms5of8yz990.jpg

Massachusetts artist Chirs T. Costello's beautiful "Liberty Alive" design was the winner of Kagin's auction cover contest which won him a $5,000 prize.

1i5ofka0cp31.jpg

Then Shonda Fry began the auction!

w4sseahbcpqt.jpg

5clizuag3ihc.jpg

53iy4k9ptsnn.jpg

uczv12muwua9.jpg

gk6mgpwbw5ao.jpg

2j6yhfi6q81o.jpg

pjmksude3ggg.jpg

Even though some of the sale prices were lower than expected, the auction was a big success and I heard nothing but great things about Kagin's auction!

Friday, Steve Brewer, the man who consigned all those wonderful Flying Eagle patterns stopped by my table. We chatted for a few minutes and I had heard he had also collects amazing cars. He showed me a photo of some of these cars!

5ym5eokxpd5h.jpg

Also on Friday, I am very pleased to say that a coin thief was actually caught red-handed stealing coins! My understanding is that a dealer suspected something was off with a guy who was looking at his coins so he watched him on his security camera and saw him tucking a coin inside a book that he had on the table. After security apprehended hand searched the thief, they found more coins that were taken from a couple other dealers. I asked the one of the affected dealers whether they were going to press charges and they said they definitely were!

zd86q4pi1pkt.jpg

Things slowed down a little early that afternoon, so I opened the other bottle of wine I had picked up at a local store. It was a very nice Rodney Strong Cab.

5mao0gd3sbeg.jpg

A beautiful Friday evening Orlando sunset.

t5jud109x9bb.jpg

We went to Vito's Steakhouse for dinner Friday night. What a fantastic restaurant, yes pricey, but some of the best steaks I've ever had!

6wscmnttrpex.jpg

e7iuchidt5ys.jpg

9hczxwzeythj.jpg

wyngtk727q8t.jpg

dul3gzjwr77q.jpg

s5hs01o0owen.jpg

dckrxwg89klh.jpg

After dinner we went to Howl and the Moon, a very fun dueling piano bar. It was very crowded but a lot of fun!

wpkrfy9rnsda.jpg

v4akrc02fz7c.jpg

aegzcfxrnicv.jpg

6qiud7ukamak.jpg

tdmbgz810ymy.jpg

2f60hhmzbb1j.jpg

Saturday started out pretty dead and never picked up. There were lots of families and scouts but I didn't see a lot of business being conducted.

John Schuch, Jr. and his adorable kiddos stopped by my table

4hvf0r0bmnoi.jpg

It was a good time to see all the exhibits, including the ANA exhibit.

The ANA exhibit judges hard at work!

91kls2vmr74x.jpg

1gsj7bz5akzr.jpg

This very creative exhibit on railroad notes won Best of Show

0ge30pys8zwz.jpg

sk5xaxw47sgj.jpg

5qvbzx2wtvpd.jpg

gagf5k4dmknu.jpg

9p31qi32cdqw.jpg

This fun and interesting exhibit on Uses and Abuses of Large Cents got my vote and won the People's Choice award!

4hwe4i93ze8a.jpg

dkq21idgdfz2.jpg

x2vqqt9f2eaa.jpg

vbmwuel09zlo.jpg

ko0ptnrcs5jj.jpg

lgp5op2nu4e3.jpg

9z0crqb33z7c.jpg

The ANA folks and exhibits

6wnp6zemmhyl.jpg

0ip30zpb89ai.jpg

y7bzv7qvmbi9.jpg

y3050hm9wwsf.jpg

4t0rsnw7dueb.jpg

h6gijf5uz1e9.jpg

wsv7v8h2dt38.jpg

The FUN table, and helping WIN out too!

x5nncn7k1hhl.jpg

Wayne Herndon of Wizard Coin Supplies

o0mqwgs6cep7.jpg

The PCGS table (that's Tim Brown/The Buffalo Brothers submitting coins)

h9e0vzcmaxda.jpg

The NGC table

hu9n1ibvw3ui.jpg

My table!

crp714kfsdrp.jpg

Soon it was time to pack up and head to the airport. I think packing up at the end of a show is my least favorite part about being a coin dealer.

scfphdn77cgy.jpg

Once through security, I had some extra time and was able to use my special pass to the United Club (I get 2 passes each year since I have a United Airlines credit card).

bcv6al4qtdlr.jpg

Soon I was nestled in my seat and so happy to be heading home to my hubby, Penny, and little baby Ryder!

jhuc46sxcg4o.jpg

Bye-bye Orlando for now

j96jtpwgva8m.jpg

j8s9ch0a5vh5.jpg

Penny was glad I was home, and I don't think she wants me to leave again as she's guarding my suitcase!

7mrc6p0h7f3e.jpg

Next up: PNNA Tukwila/Seattle this weekend, then Baltimore in a couple weeks.