• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inevitable?

66 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TonerGuy said:

And that why I always add .01 to any bid just in case that happens! lol I would have hated losing that coin over .01

So the moral of the story is that if I ever bid on a rainbow toned Peace Dollar, always bid at least $0.02 over my integer bid in a last ditch effort to win.  (I'm merely joking with you - don't take it offensively).

4 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

So the moral of the story is that if I ever bid on a rainbow toned Peace Dollar, always bid at least $0.02 over my integer bid in a last ditch effort to win.  (I'm merely joking with you - don't take it offensively).

No offense taken. I hardly bid on them anymore. Ive been priced out. Its hard to buy B and C coins for A+ money when you bought A+ coins for B and C money... lol I just cannot imagine paying some of these prices for the coins being offered. Granted the 23-D, if I had that kinda of disposable income I would have stepped up but thats in the too deep end of the pool for me....

On 3/13/2017 at 1:40 AM, TonerGuy said:

Im not a WLH guy but I dont see how this coin goes 67 or 67+ in a PCGS slab. Maybe a 66+ but I still say the $$$ between 66 and 67 is too great when the coin isnt all there.

I found this in the Heritage archives.  I like this NGC 65 better than this PCGS 67/67+.  There still is the hit on the sun though...

https://coins.ha.com/itm/walking-liberty-half-dollars/half-dollars/1940-s-50c-ms67-pcgs-cac/a/1221-4019.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

https://coins.ha.com/itm/walking-liberty-half-dollars/half-dollars/1940-s-50c-ms67-pcgs-cac/a/1216-4149.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

18 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

Same coin, PCGS just gave it a color bump to a + and CAC'd at 67 and 67+... lol and that added $6k in value...

Edit: My misread... I thought you were linking to another MS65, not the one in the OP. And yes I like the OP 65 better as well.

10 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

That 67/67+ is the one that I was thinking of when I quoted $25K!  It got upgraded, so no wonder I was confused.  Sold for over $20K, as a 67, anyway.  If 67s are selling for only $9K, now, they must have really come down in value.  Looks like this original sale is from about 2 years ago.  I think that you can still get much more than $9K on a 67 for the right coin. 

PCGS and NGC retails 67s at 12000 and 17250, respectively. 

I like the NGC coin better, too.  The fields are smoother and it has better color.  Just the marks on the sun and eagle's feathers detract.   A 67 should not have field abrasions. 

It could be a 66 on a good day, and the color is in the top 1/2 percent of toners for the series, so the price is not surprising to me. I'd rather attempt a regrade to 66* than send to PCGS, though there's a better chance of upgrading there, in my opinion.