• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach Report

26 posts in this topic

I bought two coins - a very nice PCGS PF65RB Indian cent from Chris Napolitano and the Eliasberg 1884 trade dollar in NGC PF66. I also got an 1838 pattern half at the Superior auction to go along with my Pittman 38 and Norweb 38-O.

An 1894-S Barber dime in NGC PF65 traded hands at the show. I was fortunate to view the coin and I loved the look. It is being offered at $750,000 by the David Lawrence firm. Also got to view the Norweb 1893-S in PCGS MS67 at Jack Lee's table and got to hold one of the two (!) Ultra High Reliefs at the Mike's Coin Chest display. WOW!

I didn't go to the show, but my agent was able to acquire 3 super rarities from the San Marino collection. Today, I got my signed catalog by the consignor of the San Marino material.

I think I'm going to have one of EVP's physical reactions...

Linda's Daddy

the long beach show was not as strong as the summer ANA for most all.

there are exceptions to the rules though

in the auctions most of the coins

were marginal and the prices reflected this. again there were exceptions to the rules

money is tighter than last july overall for most

at the show it is high grade and low pop and toned coins are the rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there are many others in demand

also but the above is just an example

sincerely michael

Posting anything in the light of TDN's or LD's success seems silly, but what the hell! I picked up a 1940 MS66FS Jefferson and a nice looking 1940-S MS66FS Jeff. Both were touted by Heritage to have 6 strong full steps (even though they were PCGS!). I got the latter with a proxy bid through Heritage, while with my Heritage proxy I lost the former. So, I went to eBay and bid on the former during their live auction and won! smile.gif

Congrats TDN, LD and others!

Hoot

Posting anything in the light of TDN's or LD's success seems silly

Not at all. Off the floor I ended up buying one coin for under $400. I bet I am as happy with it as TDN is with his 6-figure purchase. We all can't have multi-million dollar collections.

However, if TDN would like to adopt me I am available. laugh.gif

I, too, bought a coin for about $400 - a very beautiful IH cent. I liked the look of the coin and thought it very conservatively graded (hidden spot).

I would never, ever look down on a collector because of his budget. Passion is what matters the most!

Posting anything in the light of TDN's or LD's success seems silly

Mark,

I think what is most important is the passion and skill with which you pursue your hobby. The size of one's budget is nice, but not that important. A superb run of original EF specimens of Barber coinage or Seated coinage can be very eye appealing.

Likewise a nice run of original ChAU Capped Bust Halves...

wink.gif

TDN,

Adopt me! You don't have to pay for my college education. And, I know how to cook and I'm very clean. And, I come with a lovely dog. And, we can talk coins! And, wines. And, baseball. I will want a monthly allowance though!

smile.gif

EVP

Stop kissing up to TDN. He's adopting me and not you.

Besides, your kissing up isn't going to work. TDN is much too intelligent a person to fall for that. BTW, I saw him this weekend. Very handsome if I am permitted to say so.

By the way, I cried when I read Jeff Nelson's quote: "Everybody had some hope. When we saw that score, it made things kind of meaningless." on the Angels' 10-5 win over the Rangers on Sept. 26, which eliminated the Mariners from playoff contention.

Hello NGC forum,

Clankeye here from the CU boards. I do come over here and read sometimes. Never posted before, though. I just had to respond to the outpouring of support for my beloved Seattle Mariners. I had know idea you guys were that spiritually advanced!

As for coins, I agree very much with the sentiment that it is not the price tag of the coin being collected, but the passion of the collector. I used to have far more expensive coins than currently reside in my collection. But, the ones I have now are almost more special to me, and my joy of collecting has come from some very hard fought battles. There is a quote that says (God, I'm always digging up some quote, sorry if it annoys anyone) "Every thing good in this world stands on the razor's edge of danger and must be fought for." I feel that way about coin collecting, having almost let my mistakes ruin it for me at times.

At any rate, my first post here. Hello to all.

Clankeye, from across the street.

One last thing:

Gregg, you inspired to to buy a Lincoln Commem in NGC 64 this weekend. So I guess that entitles me to a couple of posts in the NGC forum.

Clankeye

Darn, I joined this forum just so I could correct my typos, but it won't let me do it.

Well, I'm here. I will make this promise to the NGC forum: I will start no off-topic threads. I'll inflict those on the Collector's U. people.

Clankeye

Thanks for the welcome, Mark. I'm sure I will stick around. I like the atmosphere, a little different than across the street.

One note, having nothing to do with LB. I called NGC on Monday and ordered a couple of their new slab boxes. Here it is Thursday and they are already here. Very nice product, too. Hold both NGC and PCGS coins. Love the speed with which they filled the order, and the quality customer service. The number of NGC coins in my collection is growing. So, it feels right to be here. And thanks to NGC for filling my order so quickly.

Clankeye