• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valuing unusual early Japanese coinage.

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the value range for a 100 mon money tree confused.gif

The reserve is $500. It looks genuine in the closup pictures I received from the seller, which I can e-mail to anyone with some knowledge. Thanks.

I know NOTHING about these, but it looks interesting. What is it? How big is it? Are they rare? Do the coins "break" off the tree?

Hi Greg - heard you had migrated here.

Each of the coins is just a shade under two inches long, so I estimate the tree at about 6" wide and 9-10" high. Definitely won't fit in the slab of any tpg I know about! grin.gif

That's pretty cool. I believe these were cast in this fashion. I have several individual 100 mon pieces and also the Jacobs and Vermule book Japanese Coinage. In this book they show a schematic of a money tree and describe the casting process for pre-Meiji minor issues. The book is out of print and difficult to find but is very useful.

I won an auction for the Jacobs/Vermule book about two months ago - just got a refund check from the seller who claims he mailed it the day I paid. I don't suppose yours is for sale??????? confused.gif