• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Expensive coins.

11 posts in this topic

How do online dealers that have coins valued at over $25,000, send those coins to the buyers? The USPS will only pay up to a maximum of $25,000 if an item gets lost.

Most large companies will use private insurance to cover the difference between the actual value of a piece and the max covered by the courier.

FedEx will give you ZERO back if you ship a coin with them. They are not covered. In fact, they are specifically excluded.

Most dealers have an outside insurance carrier. They send the coin FedEx (or registered mail) and insure the coin with XYZ Insurance Company for its actual value. It can actually be much cheaper to insure with an outside company.

I get a lot of stuff priority and express mail. I am sure that the companies are using private insurance. The post office will register a package for more than $25K, if my memory serves me correctly.

Yes, you can register a package for as much as you want. However, if you read the fine print, they will only reimburse you for a maximum $25,000 if the package is lost. I find that to be kind of redundant. If you register and send a package for say $100,000, if it gets lost they will only pay you $25,000. Yet you pay a lot more to send the $100,000 package out for the same benefits as the $25,000 package.

Thanks for the info! I guess I need to read the fine print! That is a strange way to do things, but the P.O. does some strange things. tongue.gif