• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS to NCS to NGC

14 posts in this topic

I can not tell if PCGS graded coins can go to NGC graded coin via NCS route. It is my belief, first comes crossover than separate NGC submission OR

PCGS crackout and submit raw. Am I accurate?

thanks all

Call Customer Service and ask. Then please report here (curious).

However, if the coin is in a PCGS holder and needs to be conserved, don't you have a better route through the PCGS guarantee??

I do not understand what you meant about the PCGS guarantee. I do not know if conservation services has bearing on the guarantee. But, here was the answer from NGC..............

Yes, NCS accepts PCGS coins for evaluation of conservation. You would select Standard Conservation and then the grading tier that it would qualify for with NGC. Under the Services section of the submission form you will also select Crossover.

I do not understand what you meant about the PCGS guarantee.

If PCGS accepts a coin for conservation, performs it, and the regraded coin must drop a grade or more then the PCGS grade guarantee kicks in.

Lance.

If PCGS accepts a coin for conservation, performs it, and the regraded coin must drop a grade or more then the PCGS grade guarantee kicks in.

Lance.

Does the guarantee apply if conservation was performed? Not sure about PCGS, but the grade guarantee is cancelled at NGC if the coin has been conserved by NCS.

A few years ago I got stuck with a PCGS graded MS-63 gold coin that had been treated with iodine. I submitted the coin to PCGS under their guarantee program. After a month or so they came back with the following offer. They would remove the iodine, and the coin would be housed in an MS-62 holder with a payment to me to make up the difference in grade, or they would buy the coin. I chose to sell the coin to them at the price I had paid for the piece.

The PCGS guarantee option with their restoration/conservation performed after examination would be the way to go except for their notorious slow service with problem coins. I saw many people waiting three to six months.

Read NGC guarantee to find that the remedy is their choice whether they replace or purchase your downgraded coin. Also be advised that they only pay fair market value and it aint much. As far as NCS goes there is no guarantee that your coin will even grade after conservation. However I have had personal assistance from NCS after a downgrade and was quite satisfied with the way it was handled.

Lance.

Does the guarantee apply if conservation was performed? Not sure about PCGS, but the grade guarantee is cancelled at NGC if the coin has been conserved by NCS.

Yes.

Lance.

I can not tell if PCGS graded coins can go to NGC graded coin via NCS route. It is my belief, first comes crossover than separate NGC submission OR

PCGS crackout and submit raw. Am I accurate?

thanks all

If your coin has a problem of some kind that needs to be addressed, the best approach is to send it back to PCGS to be addressed. Once it is fixed, you can attempt to cross it over to NGC. I do not believe the PCGS guarantee stands if NCS removed it from the PCGS slab.