• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AG or G? Morgan 1889 CC

15 posts in this topic

sorry amigo, I've never used this site for coin collecting. Well, that's not true, I have for ancients and I forgot about the 'spare a grade" thread. True, it is in a PCGS holder, but I wanted to know if others thought it was wrongly graded at AG 03. I for one think its a solid G4. Perhaps if a moderator could be polite enough to move this thread for me I would appreciate it.

No worries. For the record, I think you asked in the right way. And not including the label means that people can't anchor to that. Anyway, I think it has G4 details on Liberty and the eagle, but it is worn quite a bit into the lettering on the upper left. I would have guessed G4 but I can see why it didn't. However, I am not experienced enough at this grade level to confidently split hairs over the difference.

No need to move the thread, it is perfectly fine right here.

For me, this is definitely AG.

The coin needs to have complete lettering all the way around to be a G. The lettering can't be worn away like it is on "E Pluribus" or "America."

Yes, her face and hair are pretty strong for an AG - but this coin just doesn't make it in my opinion.

sorry amigo, I've never used this site for coin collecting. Well, that's not true, I have for ancients and I forgot about the 'spare a grade" thread. True, it is in a PCGS holder, but I wanted to know if others thought it was wrongly graded at AG 03. I for one think its a solid G4. Perhaps if a moderator could be polite enough to move this thread for me I would appreciate it.

You need not apologize Mr. Thing. Your question on here is not out of bounds at all, and is done all the time by many members.

I have always stated I don't grade from pictures. I do think the phrase "wrongly graded" might not be accurate, though I understand what you are asking. This particular coin has always generated debate, for obvious reasons. There is also always the market grade vs. technical grade discussion to be had, especially on....again...this particular coin.

Having stated all that blarney, and since I have this particular coin in "technical) grades from AG 3 to 40, I would venture an opinion that you are on the right track technically speaking.

Just remember that with this coin, as with many other type coins, 90% of the story is the obverse.. leave the coin in the present holder. The coin speaks for itself, and many collectors would want that coin. The fact is this coin is not easy to find in a technical AG/G.

Lastly, there is no reason to move the thread. It is an interesting subject right where it is.

PS: Hope you bone heels without difficulty.

On the outside edge, the rim needs to be complete to be a G4, your coin is worn away at 4 and 10 o'clock. AG3 fits for this coin, although it could sell for G4/6 money because it is nice and much better than most AG3's.

On the outside edge, the rim needs to be complete to be a G4, your coin is worn away at 4 and 10 o'clock. AG3 fits for this coin, although it could sell for G4/6 money because it is nice and much better than most AG3's.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it with a CAC sticker one day. I nice coin that always seems to be one of the last ones to make its way into a circulated set of Morgan dollars.

I checked about 10 sets of images from auction sales of G4 examples. The coin in this thread appears inferior to several of them, but on par with at least a couple of them.

However, the value spread between an AG3 and a G4 is quite small - ballpark $50 - and your coin looks more original than a large percentage of the many examples I have seen.

All things considered, I don't see any reason to resubmit it.

I purchased it as a hole filler. I'm trying to get a collection of Carson City Morgans. Someday I'll upgrade it, but for $350.00 I think it was a good price. Thank you all for the kind replies. As said, it is in a PCGS folder, problem free.